Premed 101 Forums

6+ first year courses at u of t

hey everyone,

at u of t there is a policy that prevents a student from taking more than 6 first year courses. I am taking my 7th first year course right now (summer session), BIO130 because of the whole BIO240/241 change. The registrar said that this course will be designated at XTR (extra) on my transcript. The mark will show but wont be incorporated into my uoft gpa. It will count for degree requirement only.

I was wondering, if anyone has been in a similar situation, and knows for schools here that look at your cgpa and for american med schools whether or not they will count this in my gpa.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

hey everyone,

at u of t there is a policy that prevents a student from taking more than 6 first year courses. I am taking my 7th first year course right now (summer session), BIO130 because of the whole BIO240/241 change. The registrar said that this course will be designated at XTR (extra) on my transcript. The mark will show but wont be incorporated into my uoft gpa. It will count for degree requirement only.

I was wondering, if anyone has been in a similar situation, and knows for schools here that look at your cgpa and for american med schools whether or not they will count this in my gpa.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Any % mark (and extra courses have % marks appear on the transcript) that you have on your U of T transcript will be counted for med programs everywhere (doesn't matter if it is not counted into your U of T GPA on ROSI...all schools/programs will recalculate your GPA anyway based on your % grades).

It will be counted in the cgpa? b/c i thought most schools in ontario, dont consider courses taken in summer for gpa purposes- i may be mistaken though.

Can you clarify what is meant by cGPA? Also, does this mean then that i can go ahead and take more first year courses? I tend to do very well in the languages and really wanted to take intro to spanish, but bc i have already taken 6.5 credits worth of first year courses, i decided not to. But, with regards to what you are telling me, i guess it wouldnt matter then?

Thanks for your reply :)

It will be counted in the cgpa? b/c i thought most schools in ontario, dont consider courses taken in summer for gpa purposes- i may be mistaken though.

Can you clarify what is meant by cGPA? Also, does this mean then that i can go ahead and take more first year courses? I tend to do very well in the languages and really wanted to take intro to spanish, but bc i have already taken 6.5 credits worth of first year courses, i decided not to. But, with regards to what you are telling me, i guess it wouldnt matter then?

Thanks for your reply :)

Hey mate,

Yes, everything you ever take with a % mark will be counted for US schools.

Canadian schools are different and you'd need to look at them on a case by case basis. That said, most will not count your summer marks regardless of course level.

Also note that while you could take more first year credits (and extra languages are always good!)...US schools and some Canadian schools do take a look into your progression upwards from first year courses as the undergrad years go by. Maybe stick with a language you've started learning already and take higher year courses in that?

Anyway, you're fine either way. Best of luck.

Archived