Premed 101 Forums

Conditions of Offer

I'm sorry if this question has been answered already, but I can't seem to find the thread if it exists.

If I graduated with my bachelor's degree in 2009 with all my prerequisites, but then i took a course as a continuing, non-degree student last year, does that course mark get factored into my GPA or WGPA? I did horrible in that course :( And my GPA will definitely drop if it factored in.

Any help is appreciated, thank you! :)

I'm sorry if this question has been answered already, but I can't seem to find the thread if it exists.

If I graduated with my bachelor's degree in 2009 with all my prerequisites, but then i took a course as a continuing, non-degree student last year, does that course mark get factored into my GPA or WGPA? I did horrible in that course :( And my GPA will definitely drop if it factored in.

I do not think it would count at all. I know for my personal situation,(A 2010 grad that took 3 continuing ed classes that were not pre reqs this year). I didn't even have to submit the final transcripts for the continuing ed classes. So I can't see them using ur grade in the wgpa..

OMG this is my EXACT same situation! I took half course this year for fun, but I didnt take it seriously and got B+.. am I out of luck?

I do not think it would count at all. I know for my personal situation,(A 2010 grad that took 3 continuing ed classes that were not pre reqs this year). I didn't even have to submit the final transcripts for the continuing ed classes. So I can't see them using ur grade in the wgpa..

Umm, aren't you supposed to submit transcripts for ALL the university courses you've every taken? Now if the continuing ed courses weren't university courses, then fine, but if they were university courses, I'm pretty sure they need to be included.

I specifically talked to Chantal about this as I took 4 courses after graduating. They were non-degree courses and were on a part-time basis and thus do not count towards the wGPA. Trust me, you'll be okay, I ended up getting a WF for 3 of the courses and a D in the other lol...So just to clarify, only courses taken on a full-time basis in your degree count towards the wGPA.

Oh and about the thing above, I'm pretty sure you have to submit all transcripts to OMSAS. It won't affect you at Ottawa though, so nothing to worry about there.

I contacted Chantal just to reconfirm, she said that we do not need to submit a transcript for courses taken as a non-degree student. Meaning, if you graduated before this academic year (i.e. graduated in Summer 2010, 2009, etc...) you are not required to submit a final transcript. :D

So a transcript from all the schools right?

If you have not graduated yet.. You would need to send a final transcript to Ottawa u. The only exception to not send a transcript was if you have already graduated in 2010 or earlier and did not take any pre reqs in this past academic year.

I had a similar situation with Western. I was signed up for a part-time course through Athabasca, and told by UWO admissions that I don't need to send in the transcript, as I was already accepted on basis of my full-time studies which I had completed and for which I had already sent the transcripts in.

I then called OMSAS and told them my scenario (and that UWO told me that I didn't need to send in the transcripts )-to which OMSAS responded that I still must send in transcripts of all university courses taken to OMSAS. So I sent it in just to be safe.

P.S. I discovered that Athabasca doesnt charge for sending transcripts, so if you are taking a course with them, dont hesitate to send them to OMSAS

I had a similar situation with Western. I was signed up for a part-time course through Athabasca, and told by UWO admissions that I don't need to send in the transcript, as I was already accepted on basis of my full-time studies which I had completed and for which I had already sent the transcripts in.

I then called OMSAS and told them my scenario (and that UWO told me that I didn't need to send in the transcripts )-to which OMSAS responded that I still must send in transcripts of all university courses taken to OMSAS. So I sent it in just to be safe.

P.S. I discovered that Athabasca doesnt charge for sending transcripts, so if you are taking a course with them, dont hesitate to send them to OMSAS

What you were told by OMSAS was what I was also told, which is why I replied earlier that you need to send in ALL transcripts, regardless or when or why the course was taken. Individual schools may not look at the courses (it appears that Ottawa U and UWO don't), but OMSAS certainly wants you to disclose all of your studies. I know I took a couple of nutrition courses for personal interest through distance ed, and I submitted the transcripts for those courses as I was told to submit everything.

I certainly wouldn't want it to come back to haunt me later, if the medical school somehow found out that I took courses that I didn't disclose. I'd be worried it would be seen as misconduct and could jeopardize my acceptance!

Archived