Premed 101 Forums

Preparation for MCAT biology section...

Georgia_Stars

For those of you who have taken the MCAT, please help me out here!

I'm not sure of what biology courses to take for 2nd year. I've selected a few to consider (these are all 2nd year courses, except for one of them):

I'll be taking these 2 courses (which are required for my program):

Mendelian and molecular genetics; 0.5 credit

Gene structure and function (molecular biology); 0.5 credit

I'm not sure about which ones to take from this list:

Basic microbiology (with lab component); 0.5 credit

Mammalian physiology (no lab); 1.0 credit

Principles of human morphology (anatomy course with lab); 1.0 credit

Introductory human anatomy (1st year course with lab); 0.5 credit

I only have 1.0 credit to choose from the above list. Which course(s) would best prepare me for MCAT? Any advice would be much appreciated! :D

Well unless the MCAT has changed drastically since I last wrote it, I would go with physiology (this is tested a lot on the MCAT) and microbiology or genetics (which are both tested extensively). As for anatomy, I don't even think it is tested on the MCAT. Having said that, it is of great use for med school. Hope that helps.

I don't even think it is tested on the MCAT.

Its not, but ya it is really useful to take. Hence my suggestion :)

I would say taking phys will save you the most effort in studying.. however i didnt take it before writing my mcat and did fine so its not imperative. Genetics/Biochem will also be useful. All of these courses though were required for my program, what are you in?

I would say taking phys will save you the most effort in studying.. however i didnt take it before writing my mcat and did fine so its not imperative. Genetics/Biochem will also be useful. All of these courses though were required for my program, what are you in?

Considering OP will take molecular bio and genetics, and is in a Biochemistry program (see sig), I'd say Physiology and then you're in good shape.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Well unless the MCAT has changed drastically since I last wrote it, I would go with physiology (this is tested a lot on the MCAT) and microbiology or genetics (which are both tested extensively). As for anatomy, I don't even think it is tested on the MCAT. Having said that, it is of great use for med school. Hope that helps.

I just checked the mcat website and there IS a lot of physiology in it.. If I take physiology, then there wouldn't be enough credits to take microbio. Ugh. :(

Considering OP will take molecular bio and genetics, and is in a Biochemistry program (see sig), I'd say Physiology and then you're in good shape.

What's OP?

So you don't think it'll be too horrible if I don't take microbio?

What vanillabear said. I'm in biochemistry. We have to take a whole bunch of chem courses so it's almost like a chemistry program :rolleyes: and I don't have that much elective credits left for bio courses.. Were you in life sci/bio/?

Archived