Premed 101 Forums

Physics and Calc

Guest Clairisa

Guest Clairisa

Hello all,

I am curious about how much physics is on the MCAT. I took a college physics course intended to prep one for 1st yr phys. I have yet to take 1st yr physics and it doesn't look as though I am going to be taking it before MCAT time. Can the info for the physics section be self taught? I have a couple review books and am contemplating taking either Kaplan or Princeton (both are offered relatively close to my house). (Also any recommendations on which course is better would be appreciated).

Another question I have is what kind of Math can be expected on the MCAT? I have yet to take first yr Calc and I am wondering if this is going to be a problem?

Thanks for any insight offered :)

Clairisa

Guest YongQ

Hi Clairisa,

You definitely need first-year physics for the MCAT. There are things about fluid motion and other mechanical topics (specific gravity, Bernoulli, etc.) that just aren't covered in detail in previous courses. Regarding the course you took, I don't know how much it covered, but to get an idea of how prepared you are, I suggest you take a look at the AAMC MCAT Outline of topics covered (it's also up on the net, just follow the link below). Another thing you could do is look at the formula sheet they have on the same page and see how many of those look foreign to you. About calculus, don't worry about it. There's NO calculus on the MCAT!

BTW guys, I haven't checked if this is on Ian's links list, but this is an little MCAT resource page that I found extremely useful when preparing.

www.geocities.com/mcatest/

It also has a list of cute PS and BS mnemonics! Edit: oops also forgot to mention that of the review books you have, I really hope you have the AAMC Practice Tests and Practice Items, they're the more useful.

Guest MEDCOMPSCI

You do NOT need first year physics to do well on the MCAT exam. In fact, you do not even need OAC physics!

The last physics course I took was in Grade 12. Over the summer (the summer when I wrote the MCAT) I bascially went through the OAC Physics text from my old highschool and taught myself the concepts, along with reviewing the grade 12 stuff. I did a lot of practice physics questions as well.

Initally, I got a 6 on the PS during my first practice session in June (before any studying at all). With a little dedication, I was able to pull off a 12 on the MCAT exam.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi Clairisa,

Regarding the composition of the MCAT exam, I'm sure we'd all agree that physics is an integral component--there's no getting around the fact that you do need physics for the MCAT--much to my own chagrin! The level of the physics tested is challenging to define, and learning approaches and routes differ, hence perhaps the differing in opinions above; however, the good news is that you have many options.

First of all, in case you're unaware of the composition of the MCAT you're looking at two science sections and within one--Physical Sciences--physics questions generally compose 50% (although AMCAS touts that some examination forms may contain more or less of each of the four general science subjects). Therefore, roughly one quarter of your science testing will be surrounding physics concepts, and so in some shape or form, you need to intake physics information.

If you take a first year university or high school physics course and do well, then you should not have too much trouble completing the physics section of the MCAT from a level of knowledge standpoint. As stated above though, MCAT physics is not necessarily one hundred percent representative of the content of any physics course. They do like to test interesting little concepts such as Bernoullis, Young's Modulus, etc. So if your courses don't happen to cover these wee gems then you may be less well armoured than you could be. In this case, all that you may have to do is supplement your "formal" physics training with a review of some MCAT-specific physics books which should serve to fill in the small gaps.

Regarding going in without any formal physics training, it is a do-able option. Prep courses like Kaplan and Princeton tackle all the physics topics that you will need for the MCAT (incidentally, calculus is not a requirement although a tiny bit of trig and a level of comfort with simple mathematical operations, e.g., exponents, ratios is). Although we are obviously quite different, this approach seemed to work for me, in that I took first year physics quite a while ago (effectively, I had zippo physics knowledge when I began my MCAT prep course), and managed to get my head around the concepts last year to a degree where I felt quite comfortable with the physics content in the actual MCAT, and scored decently.

It appears that every iteration of the MCAT is different, but the one I experienced placed a tremendous stress on understanding physics concepts as opposed to simply regurgitating formulae. Therefore, I found it refreshing and suprising when I came upon the physics passages and saw that many of them contained no numbers at all--in fact, they could have been mistaken for VR passages. One passage, in particular, described the physics of an earthquake and the questions centered upon the application (with few, if any, calculations) of wave concepts and the Doppler effect.

Finally, regarding good textbook resources for Physics, (Medcompsci, I'm not sure if this is the one that you found most helpful), there is an excellent physics textbook commonly used here in Ontario high schools: "Physics" by Giancoli. It contains good, clear explanations of concepts and many problems. In addition, it has multiple support materials, e.g., Student Guide (containing extra problems), Solution Guide, as well as its own web site to help test concepts from each chapter. The latest edition--5th--is available on the web via Amazon, and is carried by many large bookstores.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest Clairisa

Thank you all for your advice.

I believe the book you are talking about is the one used for physics 100 at UBC so it shouldn't be hard to get ahold of. This book has been recommended by others so I am going to take the advice of the masses and get my hands on a copy.

Since I posted last I have had a new development in my academic planning for the year. It is looking like I wont be taking any courses this year! I am going to continue at my place of employment and save up some cash for my education! I am thinking I will teach myself physics and org chem on my own and write the April MCAT (then if I need to rewrite I can always take it again in August).

Any advie on this plan of action. I am motivated to learn the org chem because I love chem...too bad I can't say the same for physics... but motivation to get into med school should be inspiration enough....

Thanks again peeps :P

Clairisa

Guest Akane200

Learning on your own can be challenging, but quite rewarding as well. However, you need good self control (unlike me, who spent all of today shopping and being idle in downtown vancouver...).

It sounds like a good plan. One additional thing I would suggest is to sit in on classes even if you don't take any courses. There's just something about lectures that help, or give you a little better insight into certain topics than you would on your own.

I loved org chem too. Don't listen to medcompsci about the physics though (most people aren't like him; we need to take the courses too ,although I did teach myself fluid mechanics too). It's important on MCAT. You never know when those questions will pop up.

Good luck in your studies!

Guest MEDCOMPSCI

Well I don't want to seem rude, but I really think it is upto the intial poster to believe whomever they wish. I was just posting my experiences; I also know of another student at my highschool who did not take a university-level physics course and scored a 12. Another student took only a half-year course in physics and scored a 10.

I was just trying to show the person that it is possible to take the MCAT without formal post-secondary education and score decent on the PS section of the exam.

Guest Ian Wong

All in good fun guys. :) I think the best part of this bulletin board is the ability to get multiple points of view. As long as we all remember that we each are speaking from our own experiences, and others from whom we've talked to, I think the onus has always been on the reader to decide which advice is more appropriate. Therefore, you're both correct. :D

My personal feeling is that most science students tend to be strong with memorizing and concepts, and weak when it comes to numbers and understanding just what a formula really means, or how it is derived. As a result, I think Physics is usually the weakest area of the sciences tested by the MCAT, and only Verbal Reasoning is more difficult. For that reason, I wouldn't recommend writing the MCAT without that first-year Physics course behind you. I was very strong in both high school and Advanced Placement physics, but I re-took first year Physics at university, and while I didn't learn that much new stuff, I had the year to really figure out exactly why a formula was put together the way it was.

Combine that innate understanding with the fact that the MCAT tests you a lot on concepts and theory, and you have have the potential for a really good MCAT score. Physical Sciences turned out to be my best section. For that reason, I think you'd be more prepared with first year Physics behind you. If nothing else, get those AAMC practice exams, and do some studying and then write the Physical Sciences section, and see how prepared you actually are. That should help you decide how much formal preparation in the form of Physics classes or MCAT prep courses you'll need to do.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest YongQ

Just to rebut Medscomsci's comment, it's true you COULD do the PS section without formal 1st year physics. But you'd be doing it half-blind, because it's basically formula recognition and memorization, you wouldn't fully UNDERSTAND it per se without doing all the background reading they cover in 1st year. But I mean, the application of formulas is pretty easy and any person used to doing it could do it. I don't know though, for me it'd be scary not fully understanding something and only knowing bare-bones type stuff taught in a prep course or learned on my own.

Like the above posters said, it's all up to you, good luck!

Guest MEDCOMPSCI

Well I do agree that it is up to the individual person to decide what course of action is best suited to their needs. However, I do not think that formal classroom training means that one understands concepts better.

Afterall, studying and reading a textbook is quite sufficient for understanding as well as applying concepts in most cases. Most university courses are taught by reading books anyways. I think it all depends on your comfort level with the material. Despite not taking any Physics since grade 12, I would still have to say that I think that Physics is my strongest area of science, and I would wager that I am better at physics then some physics majors themselves. On the other side though, I am sure that even though I took biochem as my undergrad major there are still people in second year organic chem that could wipe the floor with me in orgo! Its all about your comfort leve with material, not about how much formal training you have had. Afterall, people who formally train for the MCAT exam do not score much better than those who teach themselves.

Guest Clairisa

I would like to thank you all for your advice. As has been mentioned it is reader beware to what advice to take and that is what I am doing. What I am seeking is a variety of people's advice on what CAN work as an approach to the MCAT. I am aware of my own strengths and weakenesses when it comes to studying and subject areas and I am taking that into account.

My plan is to buy the textbooks for first year physics and org chem and follow as close to the curriculum as I can. I like that idea of sitting in on classes. The reason I am not going to take classes is because I will be working shift work and won't be able to attend all classes (and consequently labs as well). I do like the idea of sitting in on classes when possible necause I agreee sometimes its so much clearer when presented verbally as opposed to on paper. I figure if I want I can study all year write the MCAT ad then take the condensed summer course in the summer if I want. I really don't want to lose a year academically so thats most likely what I will do. Then I will be on track for biochem in the fall (2002) and hopefully be able to matriculate med school in Fall 2003.

Thanks again everyone for the advice. Keep it coming!

Clairisa :)

Archived