Premed 101 Forums

Which courses do I need to prep for the MCATs?

natalia_stan

Hello,

I am a 3rd year university-level nursing student looking to apply to med school in a year or two. I know this is what I want to do and I figured I'd start preparing now. I have done extensive research on the MCATs and what is required. However, I never took physics in high school and I only took enough chemistry to get me to nursing school. My question is: at this point, would it be worth it to return to high school and take the physics and chemistry courses from scratch and go from the ground up? or could I go straight for an intro course at university?

Also, are there some councillors that exist that can help me apply to med school?

Thanks.

going back to high school and taking the courses through continuing ed might save you some coin, but it will take longer in terms of the number of weeks you'll be in class... You'd be taking those classes weekly from Sept to Feb and then Feb to June (on semester system)

i know ubc offered intro physics courses that were equivalent to physics 11 and 12... and then first year physics.

that way would take you less time in terms of the number of weeks in class, as you would be going from sep-dec and jan-april but still would take you 4 semesters to do including the first year courses.

going through the university will also cost you more money so it's up to you what route you take.

as for the counselor, i'm sure there are prep companies that can help you, but they will charge you. the schools offer information sessions and you've got this forum to ask any questions.

again, it's up to you what route you take.

good luck.

Thanks for your reply! So at least now I know that taking grade 11 and 12 level courses isn't a complete waste of time. I'm not too concerned about time. I'm 21 years old, I figured I have time to learn them slowly and learn them well (they do not come easily and it's been a while).

Archived