Premed 101 Forums

Very Quick Question, Are Canadians Classified As Imgs

A very quick question, are canadian md grads classified as fmgs, or imgs that is, international medical graduates or foreign med grads when tryin to match for res?

I plan on doing my med school in canada, then applying for res in the states; do i get pooled in the boat as int'l md's or do i go on par to par with the american md grad's?

If i do i go on par to par with the american grad's for matching residencies, is there still discrimination made against CMG's? I understand that CMG's would require visa's to enter the US, but am i right to assume that these visa's for CMG's are much easier for the hospitals n institution's to set up in comparison to setting it up for IMGS?

As for why im inquiring about these topics; my ultimate desire is to practice in the US.

If im not treated with an equal "chance" in comparison to the american med school grad's, then if i were to attend med school in the US, would that alter the dynamics of my application, i.e. would my app be granted more attention.

Also, med school in the US is 4 years, isnt it possible to apply for perm res, or anything of that sort while your completing the 4 years, then from there on, i know its relatively (to IMGs n etc) easy to match into res with perm res.

Lastly, on a controversial note, what is the green card? I have witnessed events in which individuals in the US "marry" foreigners, in this case a canadian such as myself, to allow them to migrate to the US. But do they immigrate to the US with an eventual perm res status or even more beneficial, a citizenship status?

Also i have a sister who is married, and very very close family/nephews etc in US that would be more than happy to help out in any way to help getting matched in US (i dont want to, nor will i ever, enforce/ask them about a cosign loan)

Any and all information on info about issues discussed above regarding applying to US med schools n residency matches would be greatly appreciated, as i have to confess, i am, atm, honestly clueless regarding the system.

A very quick question, are canadian md grads classified as fmgs, or imgs that is, international medical graduates or foreign med grads when tryin to match for res?

I plan on doing my med school in canada, then applying for res in the states; do i get pooled in the boat as int'l md's or do i go on par to par with the american md grad's?

If i do i go on par to par with the american grad's for matching residencies, is there still discrimination made against CMG's? I understand that CMG's would require visa's to enter the US, but am i right to assume that these visa's for CMG's are much easier for the hospitals n institution's to set up in comparison to setting it up for IMGS?

As for why im inquiring about these topics; my ultimate desire is to practice in the US.

If im not treated with an equal "chance" in comparison to the american med school grad's, then if i were to attend med school in the US, would that alter the dynamics of my application, i.e. would my app be granted more attention.

Also, med school in the US is 4 years, isnt it possible to apply for perm res, or anything of that sort while your completing the 4 years, then from there on, i know its relatively (to IMGs n etc) easy to match into res with perm res.

Lastly, on a controversial note, what is the green card? I have witnessed events in which individuals in the US "marry" foreigners, in this case a canadian such as myself, to allow them to migrate to the US. But do they immigrate to the US with an eventual perm res status or even more beneficial, a citizenship status?

Also i have a sister who is married, and very very close family/nephews etc in US that would be more than happy to help out in any way to help getting matched in US (i dont want to, nor will i ever, enforce/ask them about a cosign loan)

Any and all information on info about issues discussed above regarding applying to US med schools n residency matches would be greatly appreciated, as i have to confess, i am, atm, honestly clueless regarding the system.

Have you been accepted to both US and Canadian schools? Unless you just got off a waitlist in Canada, isn't it a little late to be asking this question? Or are you expecting to be accepted to both? If you PLAN on being accepted to both, as in next year - I wouldn't presume so much and ask this question if you are accepted in both countries. In the odd chance its the former, ill try to answer these questions:

1) THere are no FMG or IMG streams in US residencies like in Canada. So everyone competes for the spots. Search Ian's posts on getting residency in US coming from Canada. He matched into Radiology in the US from a Canadian school

But getting residency in the states has to do with doing well on Steps, LORs etc...So its obvious that program directors want someone who has LOR from people they know (so LOR from US physicians). Furthermore, Canadian schools as I here don't necessarily cover the pre-clinical depth and breadth that US schools cover. So if you try to write the Steps as a Canadian med student, you will do a good bit of self studying on your own - but many do it so it shouldnt be that much of a problem. But I think most Canadian schools are well respected, but you will probably be at a disadvantage in applying in the US

2) You can't apply for permanent residency if you do school in the US. You will be on a student visa. If you get a residency in the US on a H1-B visa, that is the course to take for permanent residency. Green card status is when you have permanent residency.

Normally, I would say if your goal is to be in the US, you'll have a better chance of it by going to a US medical school. However, you are not a permanent resident, so it makes things a little bit tougher. For example, you may be at a somewhat disadvantage if you want a H1-B in a competitive residency as it costs money to the program to sponsor you. But I don't think its an issue if you want a J-1 visa.

All in all, I would say that if you have a Canadian seat - take it. Its just easier when you dont have to deal with the issues between US/Canada. You don't know in 4 years where you will want to be. Furthermore, there is a lot more debt in going to US schools. So take the Canadian seat and you'll likely have a few more options. Take the Steps and do some electives in the US and see how you like it vs the Canadian system in the future. Then decide

Hope this helps

Have you been accepted to both US and Canadian schools? Unless you just got off a waitlist in Canada, isn't it a little late to be asking this question? Or are you expecting to be accepted to both? If you PLAN on being accepted to both, as in next year - I wouldn't presume so much and ask this question if you are accepted in both countries. In the odd chance its the former, ill try to answer these questions:

1) THere are no FMG or IMG streams in US residencies like in Canada. So everyone competes for the spots. Search Ian's posts on getting residency in US coming from Canada. He matched into Radiology in the US from a Canadian school

But getting residency in the states has to do with doing well on Steps, LORs etc...So its obvious that program directors want someone who has LOR from people they know (so LOR from US physicians). Furthermore, Canadian schools as I here don't necessarily cover the pre-clinical depth and breadth that US schools cover. So if you try to write the Steps as a Canadian med student, you will do a good bit of self studying on your own - but many do it so it shouldnt be that much of a problem. But I think most Canadian schools are well respected, but you will probably be at a disadvantage in applying in the US

2) You can't apply for permanent residency if you do school in the US. You will be on a student visa. If you get a residency in the US on a H1-B visa, that is the course to take for permanent residency. Green card status is when you have permanent residency.

Normally, I would say if your goal is to be in the US, you'll have a better chance of it by going to a US medical school. However, you are not a permanent resident, so it makes things a little bit tougher. For example, you may be at a somewhat disadvantage if you want a H1-B in a competitive residency as it costs money to the program to sponsor you. But I don't think its an issue if you want a J-1 visa.

All in all, I would say that if you have a Canadian seat - take it. Its just easier when you dont have to deal with the issues between US/Canada. You don't know in 4 years where you will want to be. Furthermore, there is a lot more debt in going to US schools. So take the Canadian seat and you'll likely have a few more options. Take the Steps and do some electives in the US and see how you like it vs the Canadian system in the future. Then decide

Hope this helps

Thanks, the information was more helpful than you could imagine.

I'll look up ian's posting on applying to res in US from canada. But however i feel a bit confused about your statement "theres no img and FMG streams in the US, everyone competes for the spot". I think the way ive always conceived it as is that US perm residents/citizens go into a different stream, and there is an approximately small number of openings for international medical graduates applying for residency in the states. But i remember reading somewhere that Canadian's are not regarded in that pool, as the FMGS.

Nevertheless I'l do some more research, thanks for that helpful post.

Thanks, the information was more helpful than you could imagine.

I'll look up ian's posting on applying to res in US from canada. But however i feel a bit confused about your statement "theres no img and FMG streams in the US, everyone competes for the spot". I think the way ive always conceived it as is that US perm residents/citizens go into a different stream, and there is an approximately small number of openings for international medical graduates applying for residency in the states. But i remember reading somewhere that Canadian's are not regarded in that pool, as the FMGS.

Nevertheless I'l do some more research, thanks for that helpful post.

You are confusing the US system with CaRMs. CaRMs uses CMG strict streams and IMG strict streams in the first round, there's no cross over. In the US, everyone applies, there's no separation of IMG or USgrads or CMGs. The lower match rates you see for IMGs in the US is mostly due to program director's favourable bias towards US grads over IMGs.

Archived