Premed 101 Forums

In city status

As an applicant in the previous cycle who is an Ottawa native but in school in MTL, I asked this question and received the following answer, hope this helps:

The autobiographical sketch and the permanent address listed on the application form will be used to determine the geographical status of the applicants. Applicants may be asked to provide evidence of geographical status[...]

Best regards,

Lynn LeBlanc

Adjointe scolaire / Academic Assistant

Admission - Faculté de médecine / Faculty of Medicine Université d'Ottawa / University of Ottawa

451 Smyth Road, Room 2046

Ottawa, ON K1H 8M5

T: (613)562-5409

F: (613)562-5651

admissmd@uottawa.ca

http://www.medicine.uottawa.ca

These questions are hard to answer, they won't know how they will classify you until they have completely assessed your file. Clearly its good to know if you count as from ottawa or not (3.65 cut off vs. 3.85 for the rest of Ontario) since many probably wouldn't apply if they knew they wouldn't get in-Ottawa status. Since you can't know beforehand with certainty, my advice would be to go for it if you think you have even an outside shot of qualifying.

In my earlier post I left out a line that I thought didn't matter but now I will post it since it emphasizes my point. The [...] from my above post was the following:

"Unfortunately it is not possible to confirm how you would be considered without the evaluation of your complete file"

The party line from the university is that the assessment is based on permanent residence and the location of your activities on your ABS. So, if your permanent address is in Ottawa, I would go for it no matter where the ABS stuff is. If you do not have a permanent address in Ottawa but have been living there for the past 4-5 years and have a lot of extracurriculars/volunteer work etc from Ottawa, I would also go for it on the hope of gaining in city status, but this is less likely.

In terms of people asking about specific circumstances or how many years it takes to gain in-city status, this is unknown and my understanding (based on the email I posted above) is that the assessment is done case-by-case so firm rules for this do not exist.

Archived