Premed 101 Forums

MAY 31ST IS THE DAY!!!!

Guest jinfat

Guest jinfat

:eek An email will come out on tuesday may 31st telling us our admission status----ooooohh too scary!! If you phone the admissions office they will tell you, and its on the admission's officer's voice mail:hat

Guest NurseNathalie

yes, thank you so much for the news... ;)

I was hoping they would use emails for this step as well !

well... that's it.. now, I REALLY won't be able to get any work done on the 31st...

I hear medicine has come a long way, and now they can successfully separate humans who are fused to their computers! I hope I'm a good candidate for the surgery, cuz I will desperately need it after spending the day with my nose on the computer screen ! :rollin

Guest jinfat

hey Nathalie, I know exactly what you mean!! a shame, a true shame...I hear there is a waiting list for that surgery!!:rollin

Guest Kidha

Well...I wish i didn't know the date because time was flying. LOL. I had kinda retired from this site for awhile probably not a smart idea checking. Anyways I love the odds...(8 to 1). happy waiting people.

Guest Public Health girl

Yeah, the odds aren't so great.

I am thinking about taking May 31 off work...I won't be able to concentrate anyway and if I get bad news, I don't want to be here either.

Guest chenzy

The odds are going to be slightly better now... I'm out of the race as I will be taking the offer from Calgary. My feeling is that there will be many other NOSM applicants that will take an offer elsewhere, especially oop applicants.

Good luck to you all!

Guest opiedog

After reading this thread, I asked one of my referees today if the school had contacted him at all. He said no, and that no school ever has for any letter of support he has ever written for any applicant.

Anyone have any idea when/if they use or read the letters from the referees? Seems kind of sad that schools may not use them after the effort to write them has been made.

20 sleeps and counting!

Guest Jimmery

Yeah, Congratulations Chenzy! :) Hopefully things go really well for you there. Just as you stated, the out-of-province applicants may choose other places over NOSM, but realistically, I think this is a small minority of applicants that were interviewed, and I doubt many of the people being offered admission will pass up the chance to study medicine at NOSM. Of course, being a new institution, some people might decide to study elsewhere, given how there must be a lot of glitches to work out in the opening year (especially). ;)

Chenzy, if you are willing to answer, what made you decide to accept Calgary's offer even before seeing what happens with NOSM (or the other Ontario schools)?

Guest chenzy

Hi Jimmery,

I decided to chose Calgary over NOSM for a variety of reasons, but the biggest factor for me was the uncertainty of the educational experience I would get at NOSM. Although I would like to pursue a career in a rural or remote environment, I am interested in opthalmology and I feel that my exposure to this specialty would be limited at NOSM. I could be completely wrong about this, but that was my gut feeling from talking to others about it. At least I know with certainty that there are several opportunities to gain experience in optho at Calgary. However, it was a difficult decision to make because I enjoyed Thunder Bay and it would have been a wonderful place to bring my wife and child.

Guest Jimmery

Chenzy, I see your point and think you made a good decision, under these circumstances. Opthamology is so specialized that if you have already decided on it, it becomes easier to identify which places might give you the best preparation for it. NOSM will undoubtedly produce first rate family practitioners, but I agree with you that it seems to offer less certainty when it comes to preparation for other specialties. No doubt graduates will do well with anything they pursue, but that doesn't mean all schools prepare you equally for everything... For me, family medicine is at the top of my list, so its less of a risk to study at NOSM in their opening year...

Crossing my fingers for two more weeks...

Archived