Premed 101 Forums

I was hoping a current medical student who drives to campus could help me with my choice as to which parking permit I should apply for. I called the parking office and they said that as medical students we are eligible for permits in lot M, the lot underneath the stadium, and the Ward Street lot. The parking office suggested that lot M or the Ward Street lot would be my best options, as there is a shuttle bus from lot M, and the Ward Street lot is quite close to the medical buildings.

Questions:

1) Approximately how far of a walk is it from each of the lots to the buildings where the majority of our classes will be held?

2) How often does the shuttle run from lot M to campus, and where does this drop you off? How much farther of a walk would it be to the medical buildings? Is the shuttle reliable?

3) Is it possible to pay more for a permit to a closer lot, or is eligibility based solely on student classification?

4) Is the underground parking under the stadium really that far from the medical buildings? Judging from a map, it seems to actually be the closest option, but I am unsure if this is actually the case.

5) What would be your suggestion for the best way to park on campus, given that I will be living downtown (Ideally, I would like to spend no more than $800-1000/year for parking).

Thank you so much for your help. Cheers.

1) Approximately how far of a walk is it from each of the lots to the buildings where the majority of our classes will be held?

2) How often does the shuttle run from lot M to campus, and where does this drop you off? How much farther of a walk would it be to the medical buildings? Is the shuttle reliable?

3) Is it possible to pay more for a permit to a closer lot, or is eligibility based solely on student classification?

4) Is the underground parking under the stadium really that far from the medical buildings? Judging from a map, it seems to actually be the closest option, but I am unsure if this is actually the case.

5) What would be your suggestion for the best way to park on campus, given that I will be living downtown (Ideally, I would like to spend no more than $800-1000/year for parking).

Thank you so much for your help. Cheers.

hey, I'm a current mac student so I can provide some insight

1) from underneath the stadium (this is the "north quad") to the hospital or MDCL (where classes are) is probably a 7-8 minute walk to those buildings

2) I'm not sure how often the shuttle runs (probably 2-3 trips every hour) but it drops you off at the GO station on campus (in the "west quad", by the Mary E Keyes residence) and takes about 5-6 minutes to walk to MDCL or the hospital. In the winter, it's a pain in the a** to rely on the shuttle.

3) If you could somehow snag a spot in the parking lot by the student center (MUSC), that would be ideal. Otherwise, the underground stadium parking isn't horrible. There are faculty and staff waiting for student center parking spaces though, I think it is a lottery system.

4) As I said, best bet if you want an on campus parking space is probably lot M. And it keeps your car free from snow in the winter since it's underground.

5) I think you might try finding a parking spot by a house near campus. Ask some of the tenants if they use their parking space, and if they don't then ask if you can lease it for $800 for the year or whatever. I suggest you try finding something on King/Forsyth, Arnold/Forsyth or Traymore/Forsyth as they are RIGHT BESIDE both the hospital and MDCL.

Best of luck finding a space!

Archived