Premed 101 Forums

I found this odd.

Guest certicom

Guest certicom

When I interviewed in T-Bay,

I asked every person I met where they were from / listened for other people to volunteer this information...From what was a little more than 30 people, only 5 were from Ontario...

Did anyone else in T-Bay observe this trend? How about u Sudbury folks? Where there more Ontarioioans there? ;)

Guest Kidha

I actually found the exact opposite. I found that most of the people more than half were from Ontario. I would say that almost every out of province applicant i met was from a rural town or at least did some serious rural volunteer work for a number of years.

I mean its not all too odd. I think that grades, extracurricular, and rural experience were what got you the interview. I have been told that there is no quota for out of province students. It does seem that people from Northern Ontario will be favored or awarded points accordingly.

I want to know what happens now? Do they still look at grades? Do they still take into consideration your geogrpahical location or your X tra Curricular work? How much is the interview worth (I heard someone say it was 50%).

The wait begins.

Guest chenzy

I was also asking around to see where people were from. From my sample, it seemed to me that ~ 90% of people being interviewed in Thunder Bay were from rural Ontario.

This waiting game is driving me insane!

Guest NurseNathalie

Waiting game?? what waiting game?? I have no idea what you are talking about!!! lol.. I'm personally playing 'the ostrich' until the end of May..

somehow.. it makes things a little more bearable.. :lol

Still have to keep my blinds closed though! (my view from my office at work: the NOSM school being built at Laurentian) :P

the majority of people I spoke with on interview day, were from Ontario it seems.

drumroll!!!! 8o

Guest Jimmery

Certicom, maybe NOSM grouped people for interview sessions according to where they are from. Maybe your group was the "out of province" group.

Guest kingrad

I was in Thunder Bay and I did meet a lot of out of province applicants. From the 'sample' that I got to meet, there appeared to be slightly more out of province applicants than Ontario applicants...but not by much.

Jimmery, I wish they did the out of province in applicants in Thunder Bay and the Ontario applicants in Sudbury. Would have been much cheaper to get there!! But that was not the case. All the people I know in Toronto who got an interview were at the Thunder Bay interviews.

As far as how they rank us now....who knows???? I remember a few months ago when I emailed NOSM, they would not disclose the final selection process, and how everything is scored. Did anyone else ask??

If you remember the OMSAS package, it did say that our gpa, our essay, and our interview scores will be calculated and the best 56 ppl will get the invitations. I wonder if it is such a mathematical calculation though. I mean, so many factors should be looked at at this point (i.e. reference letters, bilingualism, how one would fit in the class, etc.) that it would be weird if they just calculated scores and one gets acceptance based on the scores. I would think it has to be still a very subjective decision.

Guest Jimmery

Kingrad, I'm also curious about how they actually do the final selection. Based on what I saw at the interviews, I really think it would be a tough job. Everyone interviewed would likely do well in med school and be a good doctor.

I'm wondering if they have targets to meet, e.g. to have x% of the class to be from rural or Northern Ontario, x% aboriginal, x% francophone, etc.. Maybe they will just choose from the best applicants in each of their respective categories. That would mean that if they wanted 70% from rural or Northern Ontario, they would pick the highest scoring 39 applicants from the pool. I'm guessing there will be one group of eight students who will form a "Francophone" group in Sudbury (this is completely my invention, but would make sense), so NOSM would then pick the eight highest scoring Francophone applicants. If an applicant does not fit into any of the key categories, they would compete with all other remaining applicants for the remaining positions.

Of course this idea may be totally wrong, and likely is!:lol

Guest Kidha

yeah I am not too sure but I have been told that there will be no guarnateed spots for fancophone but seats are reserved for 1st nations. So if you have a weak application but are highest of the francophone's it won't mean you get in. I think its a combination of all the things. The most interesting i think is how your geographical location will come into play now. (Grades are easy to rank, so is interview score, and xtra curr might be too if they used some point system). I love speculating. I do agree that i read somewhere that in final selections...grades/interview/x-curricular is considered. They make no mention of geographical location. .... sooner or later time will tell. :rollin :eek :lol :smokin

Guest opiedog

I interviewed in Thunder Bay on Sunday afternoon, and most of the people I spoke with were out of province or out of town'ers. Could have been luck of the draw in who I spoke to though. Five others at that time said they were from Thunder Bay, and I am as well. Some of the out of province people had grown up in rural Northern Ontario. What was most incredible to hear was the background education and present careers of the group. There were a lot of highly educated people there, and I wondered how the heck I ever got to even get an interview (although am really thankful to have had the opportunity).

As far as the prospective class demographics, the school states that they are hoping to achieve a mix similar to the population in which they hope the group will work in. I understood from the normed.ca site that 2 seats are dedicated to Aboriginal students, but that more could be placed if they apply, and that Francophone students would have an advantage in the application review as well.

Good luck everyone. Keep busy and the time will be past before you know it.

Archived