Premed 101 Forums

bilingual applicants

Guest QuestionMan23213

Guest QuestionMan23213

I recently found out that if you put that you speak both English and French, Ottawa University will actually conduct a French test during the interview, even if applying for the English program (since they must verify that you speak French).

Does anyone know if NOMS will be doing this as well? ie. we are asked to specify which languages we speak for NOMS in Question 1. Do you think we would be tested on our French for the interview?

Thanks for anyone's input

Question Man

Guest QuestionMan23213

Well, personally, I have taken French up until OAC, however since it has been 4 years since I last used it, I may be a bit rusty. On top of this, in an interview setting I would likely be very nervous, so I don't know how I would perform.

Bottom line is I can certainly get by in French, but will not put it down under "spoken languages" if we are tested on it during the interviews.

Guest Elaine I

According to Dr. Konkin at the recent NOMS application information session, all interviews (multiple mini interviews like McMaster) will be conducted in English.

Applicants who state they are bilingual will have an additional short interview in french. It will be conducted with the people from the university who usually determine a person's level of comprehension of the french language. The purpose is to determine if you are functional in french, because that will ultimately result in bonus points in the application score.

I got the impression that FSL classes will not be enough french for the bonus points. They are looking to reward those people who are able to fully serve the francophone communities of northern Ontario.

Elaine

Guest coleflower

When I contacted the admissions people with this question, I was told that, yes anyone claiming to be francophone will go through the english interview, plus a short french interview and write a french essay to test fluency in french.

As Elaine said, the result will be bonus points on your app score.

CL

• 5 months later...
Guest mariposa

I'm confused, is it just FRANCOPHONE people who receive an extra test (as the NOMS website states) or do all BILINGUAL applicants also perform an extra test at the interview. I am bilingual but haven't heard anything about an extra test from NOMS. I don't think it would be something they would keep a secret going into the interview, considering that people are signing up for the campus tour after the interview and other people have made transportation arrangements to leave town right after the interview, and would make different arrangemnt if they had to stay later than their scheduled time to finish the interview.

When Elaine1 said up above that Jill Konkin said BILINGUAL applicants go through an extra test, did she actually mean FRANCOPHONE applicants??

Thoughts?

Guest opiedog

I don't think anything was kept secret, there is a designation spot on the application as to whether you declare Francophone status. For those that declared that, (and this is cut and paste from the http://www.normed.ca web site under faqs)....

What are the criteria for the designation of Francophone for the admissions process?

Anyone choosing the designation of Francophone, for the purposes of the admissions process, on the application form must be fluent in spoken and written French. Applicants must meet one of the following criteria:

One parent is Francophone and applicant attended at least 6 years of French school (not immersion).

Applicant has a diploma from a French secondary school.

Applicant can demonstrate use of French in daily activities and/or a connection to a Francophone community.

Those applicants who have chosen the designation of Francophone on the application form and who are offered an interview will be interviewed in English in the same interview process that all candidates will undergo. In addition to this interview process, Francophone candidates will be required to attend an interview in French and to write a short essay in French at the interview site.

Applicants are reminded that the language of instruction and assessment for the School is English. However, there will be opportunities for clinical placements with French-speaking clinicians in French-speaking communities in Northern Ontario. Other opportunities for learning in the French language will include the availability of educational resources, self-directed groups and electives.

Guest mariposa

opiedog, thanks for you reply. I didn't mean to imply that NOMS is "hiding" the fact that they test francophone applicants for their french language ability. They make it clear that if you state that you are francophone in NOMS' supplementary question section, they'll give you this extra test.

I am no francophone and I never stated I was francophone in my statement - I am not of french parentage, nor did I graduate from a french school, nor do I use french in my daily life.

I am bilingual. On the main part of my OMSAS application in the "languages spoken" field, I put "both" (meaning french and english). I guess what confused me is that up above in this thread somebody stated that if you say you are bilingual then you're given a french test at your NOMS interview. I think that person actually meant to say you're tested if you declare you're francophone. (??)

Does that make sense? I guess I will conclude there is only testing for people who declared themselves as francophone (as stated on the website), and not people who simply declared they can speak both french and english, otherwise NOMS would have made a note about that for those applicants..... Does that sound right?

Guest opiedog

Mariposa, it sounds very much like you have the right train of thought, but just to make sure, an email or call to NOSM might make you feel more comfortable going in to the interview situation. The school has been incredibly accomodating in answering questions so far...good luck on your interview!

Guest NurseNathalie

I think that only those that have stated in the additional quesitons that they were Francophone will be asked the supplementary question, and not those that have ticked off french and english in the 'languages spoken' part of the application.. well, at least, that's what I was told.

I think if you are unsure, you should call and ask (as Opiedog stated). I'm also sure that they will not have organized the tour/lunch until ALL of the interview is done :)

good luck everyone!

Nathalie.

Archived