Premed 101 Forums

Should I apply next year?

Guest hydes79

Guest hydes79

Today I got my rejection letter from NOMS. In the letter the said that the interview invitations are given for the following groups:

70% peolpe who lived for 10 years or more in rural or north ON

17% Francophone

8% Aboriginal

Because I don't fit in any of the above categories my chances to get an interview is very slim (5%). Should I apply next year? What do you think?

Hydes

Guest avarrin2001

I think you are going to get into Mac, so you dont have to worry ;)

However, if for some insane reason you do find yourself applying again next year, I say you should. You have a wonderful ABS, and an amazing GPA. The process at NOSM is much like Mac, and you got an interview with them! The one problem is that the class at NOSM is so small :( I really hope they eventually increase it (58 is too small!) In my opinion, yes, the chance might be slim, but there is still a chance... even if it is only 5%... isnt that worth it?

I am sure there are more unbiased opinions out there... so i will turn it over to anyone else who would like to share :D

Guest opiedog

There seemed to be a lot more than 5% of people interviewing who were not locals...actually, it was neat to see the numbers that came from far and wide across Canada, and ,from a very large range of professional and educational backgrounds. There was also a good blend of gender and age at the interview session I attended. If not accepted somewhere else, definitely apply; you would certainly have a better chance than if you didn't apply at all!

Guest kingrad

Yeah...there were few locals. Most that I got to know were actually out of province. But all were from rural/small city areas...or were francophone or aboriginal. If none of these apply to you, you are right, it seems as though chances are slim. But you never know what kind of applicant pool there will be next year. If you can afford it...apply again. Did they suggest any ways to improve your application???

Guest hydes79

Thank you guys for the advice. I hope that I won't have to apply next year, but in the worse scenario I think I will apply again to NOMS.

kingrad, in the letter they said that more info about how to improve the application will be available on the website by mid-April.

Hydes

Archived