Premed 101 Forums

GPA/MCAT Stats of Canadians accepted into DO schools?

Does anyone have any stats of what kind of GPA and MCAT Canadians have who got accepted into DO schools?

I myself am going to enter 4th year this fall and I have a really low GPA. I'm going to take my MCAT this summer though and hope to get a high score.

Getting some stats would let me know how I stand and if I should do extra years and know what kind of MCAT score to get.

Thanks!

PS. Anyone have any general info on when to apply to DO schools and any other tips?

Does anyone have any stats of what kind of GPA and MCAT Canadians have who got accepted into DO schools?

I myself am going to enter 4th year this fall and I have a really low GPA. I'm going to take my MCAT this summer though and hope to get a high score.

Getting some stats would let me know how I stand and if I should do extra years and know what kind of MCAT score to get.

Thanks!

PS. Anyone have any general info on when to apply to DO schools and any other tips?

Either higher MCAT with lower GPA, or lower GPA with higher MCAT. I'd say 3.5+ gpa and 30+ MCAT, and you are essentially guaranteed a seat somewhere in a DO school, provided you have all the Letters and etc. Canadians have gotten in with low 3.0s before, but like all med schools, the trend is towards higher GPA and MCATs as time goes on.

As for tips, check out the sticky again.

^ is there any kind of weighting scheme to the gpa, eg best 2 years

Like the MD schools in the US, there are no weighing scheme like the type we see in Canada. However, if you did retake courses, they count it differently such that it is fairly advantageous for the applicant with retake courses. I can't remember how exact it works, but it's described on their site I think.

Archived