Premed 101 Forums

Do you know if you did well or not after an MCAT?

Hockey_whiz

For those of you who have written it, do you have an idea of how well you did after you write the exam? ie. back in high school when you wrote a biology exam, you know you either did well or poorly, is that the same with the mcat?

My friend wrote his MCAT last year, he thought he did quite poorly on it, so he was extremely shocked when he found out he got a 37Q.

Anyways, I'm just thinking that one month wait till you get your score is gonna be a long painful wait lol

I had no idea how I did until my scores came back. Because there are many test forms and the scores are normalized, I would not trust your gut feeling. Maybe on one section you got 3 wrong and that gets you a 13, on another section you get 8 wrong and you get a 13 there as well.

Regardless, best of luck!

lol. Not really. And the thing about a test like the MCAT is that even if you thought it was easy, maybe other people did to, so your score will be scaled accordingly. Your score isn't entirely dependent on you doing well, since it's relative to the other test takers.

I had no idea how I did until my scores came back. Because there are many test forms and the scores are normalized, I would not trust your gut feeling. Maybe on one section you got 3 wrong and that gets you a 13, on another section you get 8 wrong and you get a 13 there as well.

Regardless, best of luck!

I doubt a 13 will ever = 8 wrong

you will likely find that most people feel that they did poorly. However, most people who are well prepared and did all the aamc practice tests end up getting around their average. I guess there's the potential for variation depending on the luck of the draw but good prep should minimize this. Its a normalized test after all.

I was really worried after my MCAT, wasn't really sure what to think about any of the sections. Although the distribution of scores was off, I ended up getting around my average.

you will likely find that most people feel that they did poorly. However, most people who are well prepared and did all the aamc practice tests end up getting around their average. I guess there's the potential for variation depending on the luck of the draw but good prep should minimize this. Its a normalized test after all.

I was really worried after my MCAT, wasn't really sure what to think about any of the sections. Although the distribution of scores was off, I ended up getting around my average.

I completely agree with this. In my experiences, I was able to gauge my performance based on comparing my feeling post-MCAT with the feeling post-practice MCAT.

You shouldn't stray too far from of your practice MCAT scores closer to the date of your actual test day.

Archived