Premed 101 Forums

OOP-Am I competitive enough to get an interview?

Since the AQ and NAQ numbers seem to be pretty subjective, I don't know if I'm competitive enough to get an interview. I graduated with BA in chemistry from a prestigious American University. As for my AQ score, my adjusted GPA is a little bit above 88 and my total GPA is around an 85. As for my NAQ score, I have about 320 hours of hospital volunteering, 900 hours of research (at 3 different labs), 400 hours of leadership experience within my community, one publication and quite a few scholarships and awards. I will also be starting a position as a chemistry instructor at Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar in August of this year (I don't know if I should include this on the application).

You can include anything after June 1... So your instructor position is irrelevant for this years app.

They have a new system set up so the numbers may be different in terms of calculated scores and also required scores for interviews.

Last year an OOP applicant needed something like 38/50 total score. On average they had a 24 AQ (or thereabouts) and a 16 NAQ. A 25/25 AQ score last year was around 92% so you might hit somewhere around a 20? Your NAQ score is hard to gauge as we do not know what scores what.

So, my suggestion is to apply, don't expect an interview and see where you stand. If you get an interview it's a nice bonus.

Good luck.

You can include anything after June 1... So your instructor position is irrelevant for this years app.

They have a new system set up so the numbers may be different in terms of calculated scores and also required scores for interviews.

Last year an OOP applicant needed something like 38/50 total score. On average they had a 24 AQ (or thereabouts) and a 16 NAQ. A 25/25 AQ score last year was around 92% so you might hit somewhere around a 20? Your NAQ score is hard to gauge as we do not know what scores what.

So, my suggestion is to apply, don't expect an interview and see where you stand. If you get an interview it's a nice bonus.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice! :)

I guess the average GPA this year will go up because of the one year dropped. I'm still debating whether or not I should apply. One minute I'm enthusiastic about applying, and then I get pessimistic when I look at the numbers.

I guess the average GPA this year will go up because of the one year dropped. I'm still debating whether or not I should apply. One minute I'm enthusiastic about applying, and then I get pessimistic when I look at the numbers.

While the average GPA will increase, don't forget that the AQ formula has changed too and no longer counts the last 60% gpa. So, in a way, your AQ score shouldn't fluctuate much from last year to this year.

Hey Zakaquel. I'm OOP, have very similar (if not poorer) stats than you, and I got in this year. I was very pessimistic too and only applied out of province because I figured it would improve my chances statistically (kind of?).

If you want it, and the application fee isn't big deal to you, apply. Worst case scenario, you get a good idea of what the application process is like and are better for it when you re-apply. Best case: you surprise yourself! That's my philosophy at least. That said, application is a big huge hassle, so be prepared to put some time into it.

Good luck! (because that has a lot to do with it too ;))

Hey Zakaquel. I'm OOP, have very similar (if not poorer) stats than you, and I got in this year. I was very pessimistic too and only applied out of province because I figured it would improve my chances statistically (kind of?).

If you want it, and the application fee isn't big deal to you, apply. Worst case scenario, you get a good idea of what the application process is like and are better for it when you re-apply. Best case: you surprise yourself! That's my philosophy at least. That said, application is a big huge hassle, so be prepared to put some time into it.

Good luck! (because that has a lot to do with it too ;))

Agreed! Went through the OOP thing 4 years ago and it was a last-minute kind of hail mary pass since I figured...why not. Anyways...starting my residency next week with a UBC MD...

Archived