Premed 101 Forums

Course Selection

Guest Spencer

Guest Spencer

Heyo Everyone,

Seeing as my undergrad thread has expired...as in no one reads it...I decided to start a new thread about undergrad course selection! I am in the Arts and Science program and as such I have to take the following courses.

7 credits of Math. I have elected to take MATH140 and MATH141 (3+4credits). What really confuses me is the above two courses are named Calculus 1 and 2...but there is also Calculus A and B (MATH150 and MATH151 respectively...which is 4+4credits). What is the difference other than the number of credits? I think I'll opt to take the 7 credit combo instead? Any input?

14 credits in at least TWO Sciences. This is what really confuses me. I know I need to take Bio, Chem and Physics. On the OMSAS website: www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/rc_omsas_e.pdf

It says that I need "ONE FULL CREDIT COURSE" in each of the pre-requisites as listed under each school. What is "ONE FULL CREDIT COURSE" equivalent to at McGill? I'm thinking a 3 credit-course, but I'm not quite sure. Anyway, the Undergrad Calendar suggest I take the following:

Bio (BIOL110 and/or BIOL112)

Chem (CHEM110 and/or CHEM120)

Physics (PHYS101 or PHYS131 and possibly PHYS102 and PHYS 142)

In order to qualify for that "ONE FULL CREDIT COURSE"...and I'm not just concerned about OMSAS...I'm also looking at other schools...what do I need to take? Can I take BIOL110, CHEM110 and PHYS101 ONLY and satisfy all requirements...or do I need to take BIOL110 AND BIOL112 etc. etc. with all the other Sciences to fulfill that requirement?

And what is up with CHEM112 (General Chemistry Laboratory worth 1 credit...Open only to entering students who have the lecture equivalent of CHEM110...Laboratory section of CHEM110) Does this mean I have to take CHEM110 with CHEM112 to satisfy med school requirements?

This is SO confusing.

I also need to find Arts electives... Does anybody know if First-Year Seminars count as a med school pre-req (If I take CHEM199 First Year Seminar)?

Please help!! Course selection is coming up soon and I don't even know what to ask my Faculty Adviser =\!

If you are in first year looking to go to med school...maybe it would be helpful if you listed your first year courses!

Thanks guys, I'd really appreciate some help here.

Spencer

• 1 year later...

Archived