Premed 101 Forums

Narrowing Down Schools

I'm trying to narrow down my school choices and have filtered them the following ways:

(1) checked MSAR for schools that accept Canadians and eliminated all the schools that don't

(2) personally phoned all schools from (1) to confirm and eliminated a few

(3) checked MSAR for median accepted GPA/MCAT score and eliminated schools with low (3.3-3.5 GPA & 8/8/8N MCAT) median scores and scores beyond what are realistically possible for me

I have about 25 schools remaining and I want to cut the list down to 10-15 schools. However, I have run out of ideas on what criteria to use to eliminate choices.

I've thought about distance, tuition, reputation etc

Does anyone have any advice on how to narrow down the schools further? So far, I would place value on reputation of the schools. Is there any way to find the "prestige rating" of the US medical schools to help me with my choices?

I'm trying to narrow down my school choices and have filtered them the following ways:

(1) checked MSAR for schools that accept Canadians and eliminated all the schools that don't

(2) personally phoned all schools from (1) to confirm and eliminated a few

(3) checked MSAR for median accepted GPA/MCAT score and eliminated schools with low (3.3-3.5 GPA & 8/8/8N MCAT) median scores and scores beyond what are realistically possible for me

I have about 25 schools remaining and I want to cut the list down to 10-15 schools. However, I have run out of ideas on what criteria to use to eliminate choices.

I've thought about distance, tuition, reputation etc

Does anyone have any advice on how to narrow down the schools further? So far, I would place value on reputation of the schools. Is there any way to find the "prestige rating" of the US medical schools to help me with my choices?

Post your list here and we can help you. Also, if you want some kind of rank you can always use the USNews top medical schools ranking.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/research-rankings

so i just went through the rankings and cut the list down a little.

Keep in mind, my AMCAS GPA is 3.9, but I'm rewriting my MCAT this summer, so I'm missing that piece of info.

Here's the list:

University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine

The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences

Georgetown University School of Medicine

Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine

University of Chicago Division of the Biological Sciences, The Pritzker School of Medicine

Boston University School of Medicine

Tufts University School of Medicine

Wayne State University School of Medicine

Saint Louis School of Medicine

Creighton University School of Medicine

Dartmouth Medical School

Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University

Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons

New York Medical College

Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University

Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University

Vanderbilt University School of Medicine

Baylor College of Medicine

University of Virginia Medical School

Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine

Medical College of Wisconsin

I have similar stats and a very similar school list. You might as well add a few more ivy's. Never know... Harvard, Hopkins, Dartmouth as well

thanks for the reply, adding those schools seems like a good idea if my MCAT is good enough. However, my problem still remains...I have too many schools! I need help to narrow them down, so any advice on how to go about doing this would be great.

22 is not a bad number especially if you have no MCAT score yet. You may end up doing really well and be really competitive for top schools or do just OK and have a fair shot at the regular schools. I would stick with what you have and only fill out favored secondaries. If you absolutely had to cut out, I would remove VCU, Creighton, SLU (escrow policy), Colorado and Einstein. Your list would be somewhat top-heavy if you listen to my advice though.

thanks for the reply, adding those schools seems like a good idea if my MCAT is good enough. However, my problem still remains...I have too many schools! I need help to narrow them down, so any advice on how to go about doing this would be great.

You could probably take Tufts out. They have a strong preference for US citizens and permanent residence, and suggest internationals should have a very strong and specific reason why they want to attend Tufts when they decide to apply. Can't remember where I read that last bit, but I'm pretty sure it was somewhere, and I only read it after I filled in the secondary and paid the fee. Anyways, this is from their admissions page:

Eligibility Requirements

International Applicants

International applicants are eligible to apply to TUSM, but should be advised that we admit very few international applicants. We give strong preference to United States citizens and U.S. permanent residents. (A permanent resident visa, or green card, is equivalent to U.S. citizenship in our admissions process and in terms of U.S. student loan programs). Our full Policy is listed here.

You could probably take Tufts out. They have a strong preference for US citizens and permanent residence, and suggest internationals should have a very strong and specific reason why they want to attend Tufts when they decide to apply. Can't remember where I read that last bit, but I'm pretty sure it was somewhere, and I only read it after I filled in the secondary and paid the fee. Anyways, this is from their admissions page:

Eligibility Requirements

International Applicants

International applicants are eligible to apply to TUSM, but should be advised that we admit very few international applicants. We give strong preference to United States citizens and U.S. permanent residents. (A permanent resident visa, or green card, is equivalent to U.S. citizenship in our admissions process and in terms of U.S. student loan programs). Our full Policy is listed here.

Ya, thanks for that. I actually just went through MSAR and saw that preference for US citizens, so I cut Tufts to be safe.

22 is not a bad number especially if you have no MCAT score yet. You may end up doing really well and be really competitive for top schools or do just OK and have a fair shot at the regular schools. I would stick with what you have and only fill out favored secondaries. If you absolutely had to cut out, I would remove VCU, Creighton, SLU (escrow policy), Colorado and Einstein. Your list would be somewhat top-heavy if you listen to my advice though.

Why would you chop VCU and Einstein?

I'm in the same boat have about 3.9 GPA and 32S MCAT with a breakdown of VR 9, BS 11, PS 12, I've done a Bachelor of Medical Sciences at Western and Bachelor of Science in Nursing that I just finished so have patient experience and am working in Pediatrics currently. I did some leadership courses, research experience (two summers) and volunteering in a long term care facility and Emergency Room and then also was valedictorian, Gold Medal winner at grad for top of the class, number of scholarships and did a guest lecture to first year nursing students for one of their classes.

Here's the schools I have listed so far and still trying to eliminate some - I didn't see some of these on that other list and am just wondering if some of them aren't Canadian friendly and would be a waste of my time?? What do you guys think? I know I have a few that may be out of my range and a couple that are very low-tier (like Meharry).

What are your thoughts on Virginia Tech and Oakland I know they are newer ones?

University of Connecticut

Georgetown University

Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science Chicago Medical School

University of Maryland

Boston University

Michigan State University

Oakland University William Beaumont

Wayne State University

University of Minnesota

Saint Louis University

Albert Einstein College of Medicine

State University of New York Upstate Medical University College of Medicine

Wake Forest University

Jefferson Medical College

Pennsylvania State University

Meharry Medical College

Virginia Commonwealth University

Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine

I'm in the same boat have about 3.9 GPA and 32S MCAT with a breakdown of VR 9, BS 11, PS 12, I've done a Bachelor of Medical Sciences at Western and Bachelor of Science in Nursing that I just finished so have patient experience and am working in Pediatrics currently. I did some leadership courses, research experience (two summers) and volunteering in a long term care facility and Emergency Room and then also was valedictorian, Gold Medal winner at grad for top of the class, number of scholarships and did a guest lecture to first year nursing students for one of their classes.

Here's the schools I have listed so far and still trying to eliminate some - I didn't see some of these on that other list and am just wondering if some of them aren't Canadian friendly and would be a waste of my time?? What do you guys think? I know I have a few that may be out of my range and a couple that are very low-tier (like Meharry).

What are your thoughts on Virginia Tech and Oakland I know they are newer ones?

Georgetown University

Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science Chicago Medical School

University of Maryland

Boston University

Michigan State University

Oakland University William Beaumont

Wayne State University

University of Minnesota

Saint Louis University

Albert Einstein College of Medicine

State University of New York Upstate Medical University College of Medicine

Wake Forest University

Jefferson Medical College

Pennsylvania State University

Meharry Medical College

Virginia Commonwealth University

Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine

I would double check on Wake Forest, I believe they only take applications from US citizens and permanent residences, unless they've changed it . recently. I would also take out Meharry as they clearly state they have preference for applicants with minority or underserved backgrounds (generally African/Americans) so unless you fit that, I don't think there's a good chance for you there. You might want to add NYMC, it's the same tier as most of your other schools though like SLU, it will require escrow payments.

great thanks for the advice! Really appreciate it! Ya definitely don't fit that profile so I'll take out Meharry and then look into Wake Forest and add NYMC to the list as the escrow thing even though it really sucks it would be doable if I had too type thing

any other key schools that I missed ?

What about the Mayo School of Medicine - I know it's a little above my stats and I'm pretty sure they are Canadian friendly and will call next week if no one on here knows

Also, the only reason I'm asking is because the other person at the start of this topic didn't have these schools in their list but UConnecticut, UMaryland, UMinnesota Oakland, and SUNY upstate all consider Canadians?

Thanks again

Do UMaryland, UMinnesota and UConnecticut give strong preference to US Citizens??

Just been searching the forum here and even the treads on interview invites from last year and it doesn't seem like anyone really applies to these, and even the ones that did no one really got interviews for these schools either? ??

Thanks

Hi guys,

I am applying to the following schools. Can someone please confirm that all these schools accept Canadian citizens. Also, are there schools here that have a very strong preference for in-state applicants?

Baylor

Boston Univ.

Brown (Alpert)

Case Western (CWRU)

Columbia

Einstein (AECOM)

Emory

Maryland

Michigan State University-CHM

U of Minnesota – Twin Cities

U of North Carolina – Chapel Hill

Saint Louis University

Stanford

Stony Brook

SUNY - Syracuse (Upstate Medical University)

UCLA

University of Maryland (Baltimore)

University of Maryland (College Park)

Vanderbilt

Washington Univeristy (St. Louis)

Wayne State

Weill Medical School (Cornell)

Yale University

Thanks

Hi maadaputtar, do you mind if ask why did you apply to north carolina. I was looking into the school as well, but they didn't accept any international students last year...

Hey,

I actually haven't applied yet. You're right, I should take NCarolina out of the list. I had read on their website that they accept approx. 20 non-state residents per year. I had emailed them asking if they accept internationals, but they never got back to me. Now that you are saying that they didn't accept any last year, I am not going to waste my money on it, unless someone can confirm that they do, in fact, accept internationals.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Archived