Premed 101 Forums

Progress for those writing in aug?

mangos

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so hows everybody fairing? esp those writing on aug 23? doing practice exams? i personaly find them super hard...more reading comp than actually knowing the facts.

haha I'm surprised no one has created a thread called "August 18/19/23 MCAT Unite!" yet :P

I'm at the stage of doing practice tests every couple of days and reviewing content on others. I agree that reading comprehension is a huge component of doing well, but I think this mostly applies to experimental-based passages in PS and BS. Generally the passages are informative and then test your background knowledge as well as some additional information learned from the passage. I'm personally struggling with VR (as do many students) so I'm desperately trying to improve my score even by one or two points! I've read about all the different strategies out there, and my biggest challenge is in acquiring a good understanding of the passages within an hour. I usually end up doing horribly on two passages (avg 2/6) and that has a huge impact on my score! :(

haha I'm surprised no one has created a thread called "August 18/19/23 MCAT Unite!" yet :P

I'm at the stage of doing practice tests every couple of days and reviewing content on others. I agree that reading comprehension is a huge component of doing well' date=' but I think this mostly applies to experimental-based passages in PS and BS. Generally the passages are informative and then test your background knowledge as well as some additional information learned from the passage. I'm personally struggling with VR (as do many students) so I'm desperately trying to improve my score even by one or two points! I've read about all the different strategies out there, and my biggest challenge is in acquiring a good understanding of the passages within an hour. I usually end up doing horribly on two passages (avg 2/6) and that has a huge impact on my score! :([/quote']

ahha i agree! might as well combine all that in this thread which is why i decided to bring it up again! we don't need seperate threads per day haha

but i agree with you. my VR is whats bringing my score down. getting 7-9 is so sad. so what im hoping to be able to do is raise my ps and bs scores to counter it. like a 12 in both id be happy with.

so hows everybody fairing? esp those writing on aug 23? doing practice exams? i personaly find them super hard...more reading comp than actually knowing the facts.

I'm writing on the 23rd...progress is okay, not as prepared atm as I wanted to be. My VR sucks, getting 8-9:( ... AAMC physics does not seem too bad, but when I go and do Kaplan FL, the physics sections make me feel like an absolute idiot...

I'm writing on the 23rd...progress is okay, not as prepared atm as I wanted to be. My VR sucks, getting 8-9:( ... AAMC physics does not seem too bad, but when I go and do Kaplan FL, the physics sections make me feel like an absolute idiot...

haha I know what you mean about Kaplan FL...I get owned every single time! My raw score is awful but Kaplan is extremely lenient with the scale it uses to convert the raw score to a score out of 15 (which I'm very skeptical of). I guess they just try to really challenge the students in hopes of providing better training/preparation :)

I was just discussing VR with a friend today and wished if only we could transfer some points from PS/BS towards VR...

haha I know what you mean about Kaplan FL...I get owned every single time! My raw score is awful but Kaplan is extremely lenient with the scale it uses to convert the raw score to a score out of 15 (which I'm very skeptical of). I guess they just try to really challenge the students in hopes of providing better training/preparation :)

I was just discussing VR with a friend today and wished if only we could transfer some points from PS/BS towards VR...

well thank god i'm not the only one that notices this..now I feel better:cool:

I'm also writing August 23rd :) and then its vacation for 2 weeks + med school apps!

I've been doing 2 full lengths a week, 1 AAMC and 1 Kaplan, then reviewing the tests and doing the last 3rd of the BR science passages. Soon I will be switching to only AAMC. I have 6 more FLs to go before the real thing!

I definitely agree with you guys/girls on those Kaplan FLs. I find their BS easy, but the PS is killer, even though the scoring is so lenient. It doesn't seem too far off to me, b/c I get around the same scaled score on AAMC as well.

Good luck to everyone!

How are everyone's practice aamc / kaplans score like so far? I find Kaplan marks SOOO easy. I count how many inget wrong per section an I've found you can get 20 wrong in each section and still get a 10-11....whereas in aamc a 10-11 is like like 12 wrong approximately.

How are everyone's practice aamc / kaplans score like so far? I find Kaplan marks SOOO easy. I count how many inget wrong per section an I've found you can get 20 wrong in each section and still get a 10-11....whereas in aamc a 10-11 is like like 12 wrong approximately.

Yea the scaling is very different, but I think it's because Kaplan tests are slightly more difficult than AAMC tests, Kaplan weighs the scores differently. But I think the scaled score out of 15 on both kaplan and AAMC tend to be fairly close (plus or minus one or two points)...I just use kaplan for practice and to learn from mistakes, and hopefully improve my score on AAMC tests

I write Aug 5th.

Last AAMC is tomorrow for me (#10).

I did the TPR course, first time writer. Finished 2nd year in sciences (physiology, orgo 1/2, biochemistry, genetics etc).

I scored 33/34/34/32/35 on the aamc tests in the last week and a half averaging 10-12 in verbal. Also finished all the EK Verb tests.

I got Ts on all but 2 of my diagnostic (based on TPR markers.. not sure how accurate those guys are though)

My goal is at least 30Q (10/10/10) on the real thing.

Going to spend the last few days reviewing material and practice passages, other than that I'm ready for it.

Good luck to every other Augustinian out there.

Not for verbal, of course.

Getting an 11 on AAMC is 33-34 out of 40.

I write Aug 5th.

Last AAMC is tomorrow for me (#10).

I did the TPR course, first time writer. Finished 2nd year in sciences (physiology, orgo 1/2, biochemistry, genetics etc).

I scored 33/34/34/32/35 on the aamc tests in the last week and a half averaging 10-12 in verbal. Also finished all the EK Verb tests.

I got Ts on all but 2 of my diagnostic (based on TPR markers.. not sure how accurate those guys are though)

My goal is at least 30Q (10/10/10) on the real thing.

Going to spend the last few days reviewing material and practice passages, other than that I'm ready for it.

Good luck to every other Augustinian out there.

Those are fantastic scores! Best of luck :)

what kinda marks are you getting on kaplan and aamc grey seeing as how you seem to be in the same situation as me

On Kaplan, my raw score is pretty low in my opinion but the scaled score was very generous...my average score is probably around 40/52 on PS (with the occasional low-30s - I got 33/52 on FL #4) which translates to a scaled score of 13, although the same score on AAMC is probably an 11. But thankfully on AAMC I usually score an average of 44/52 which is a 12/13 as well. So Although the raw score varies between Kaplan and AAMC, the scaled scores are quite similar.

congrats! hmm...well im not one to give any tips for VR seeing as how im not well versed in it although i did pull out my first 10 on aamc 8 : )

but id suggest more practice timing yourself....cuz when you get to aamc7....ohh mann...that VR is a killer! long ass passages....difficult read to.

Archived