Premed 101 Forums

Same Old Question - Perhaps a Different Twist!

Hi folks. I’ve kept an eye on this forum for a while and just want to say thanks to all the posters for the wealth of information they provide to the hopefuls. I have (I think ;)) an interesting story and would be curious to see what everyone thinks as to my prospects/options. I’ll boil it down into short form:

I’ve practiced law for a fair period of time and though I’ve had a great career, I’ve started to appreciate that it’s not the best fit for my skills, talents and interests. After much research (including volunteering, shadowing, chatting with physicians) and contemplation, medicine is something that I am/would be passionate about and I think would be an excellent fit for me (I won’t bore everyone with the details).

Undergrad GPA (Biology): 3.51. Undergrad science average 3.25 but best 2 years of undergrad were 3.91 (but mostly higher level humanities).

Law GPA: 3.5 (which would probably put me in the top 15% of my class).

Positives:

- Strong pattern of improvement in GPA (first two years were pretty weak).

- 13 different scholarships and class prizes for academics or leadership.

- Very strong professional career after graduation.

- Lots and lots of varied ECs until work encroached on all waking hours (and even then still a few).

Negatives:

- Definitely a mixed bag of science marks in the earlier years when I was (ahem) paying less attention and it probably looks like I’m far more talented in the humanities rather than the sciences.

- Law GPA seems uncompetitive for most med admissions processes.

- My CV would not appear to indicate that I’ve been a “lifer” in terms of dedication to heading to medicine though my more recent track record would suggest this.

Although I’ve thought about applying to med school for several years, I’ve never written the MCAT sensing that my ugrad and law marks would make me uncompetitive (hence making MCAT prep a lot of wasted energy). Nevertheless, I haven’t been able to stop thinking about the possibility.

After a pretty thorough review of admissions websites it would seem that my only options without doing a whole bunch of new coursework would be Calgary and Mac. I could go back and do a few more years of undergrad but this would certainly be a last resort after already spending seven years in university.

Would be interested to hear what the folks here think about my chances at Calgary and Mac and if there were any others that have a similar history to mine and what their experiences have been.

Thanks all!

Well I know nothing about admissions requirements of schools outside QC so I'll leave that to other forum members, but all I can say is that I don't think you should worry about your CV not showing a lifelong dedication to going into medicine. I got in after 8 years in computer science on my first try applying. I know lots of others (many here) who got in after doing completely unrelated degrees as well including MBA, engineering, astrophysics and, yes, law.

I have a similar story except switch law for accounting. Other schools that you dont need prereqs for: U of S, NOSM (don't even need MCAT for NOSM but almost HAVE to be from rural or northern), Memorial (NFLD) and Dalhousie. I'm writing the MCAT in September and applying to NOSM (I'm from rural northern Alberta), U of C and U of S this year, which I am considering to be my practice year because my MCAT mark likely isn't going to be fab! Then I will add Dal to that list next year.

Which schools are you IP for? Honestly I would think that any IP you would have a better chance at with your GPA but honestly I'm not that familiar with how they calculate your GPA given your law degree, so I will leave that for someone else. What gives me hope is the recent trend tirades med schools seeking out non traditional students. I think that despite your GPA you would be a strong applicant given your work and life experience combined with all other aspects. You never know until you try, and that's why I'm finally doing it this year. Enough obsessing about it for me... It's time to really study and give the MCAT a try an apply. The worst that can happen is they say no and at least then I know!! I don't consider it wasted time writing te MCAT and applying at all. It's working towards your ambitions and trying to get into a career that you are passionate about. Nothing wastes about that.

Good luck!!

I agree with AccountantGirl. Writing the MCAT would be a good idea. I think you would have a good shot at UofT where they seem to be fine with any >3.0 GPA if you meet the MCAT cutoffs and have a grad degree. Also, I think you will need the MCAT for Mac.

I know someone who is doing the opposite of you... Maybe you two could just trade degrees and save a few years that way?

Looks like with a strong MCAT you'd be a very competitive applicant for Queen's and UWO. That is if they look at your last two years of undergrad. Wonder if anyone knows how schools look at professional school marks?

If you're serious about med, it may not be a bad idea to go back and do an extra year of undergrad to further boost your gpa for schools like Ottawa. This could also help with your MCAT preparation.

Hi folks - Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated! To respond to a couple of the queries:

1. I'm IP for Calgary and UofA which gives me a much better shot for those schools (realistically Calgary though).

2. Thanks for the USask tip. Few spots for OOP but a favorable process for me.

3. Regarding UofT, their "cut one grade" per full course year makes my GPA much more respectable (3.65) but it's not sky high. Also, on their website, it indicates that you can only avail yourself of the policy where students have taken a full course load in all of their years. In my second year I only took four courses per semester so I guess I should follow up with their admissions office regarding what their policy is in this circumstance.

4. Queen's - I will investigate this more for sure. For my situation, the key factor in making it past their GPA selection is to know whether they would consider my law degree still undergraduate work. More follow up for me.

5. UWO is a good fit for my situation. I'm assuming that perhaps my law degree will make up for the fact that my undergrad degree was not an honours degree.

As many of you suggest, it sounds like it’s time for me to buckle down, write the MCAT and let the chips fall where they may. At least I have a working back up plan ;).

EoE – Let me know if your friend wants to do a degree swap. I still have a nice fresh looking parchment around here somewhere...

Thanks again all!

If you didn't take a full course load in EVERY SINGLE YEAR, UofT won't drop the lowest 1 credit/year or equivalent.

Also, I would suggest checking with UWO regarding your situation - from my understanding, a law degree is still considered to be at an undergraduate level. If you have more than one degree, UWO will only look at your second degree. So, if they do consider your law degree as being an undergraduate level second degree, then you would have to have met their GPA cutoffs in your law degree, not the initial biology degree. There are also specific rules like 60% courses should be at your year level of study and the best 2 years would have to be full course load...so you should check with them which degree they will consider and see if you meet all of their specific requirements in that degree.

I also agree with other posters above, writing the MCAT would be good as it will bring you one step closer to what you want to do.

Good Luck!

Archived