Premed 101 Forums

List significant activities in the Activities section

Hey guys,

I had a question regarding describing my significant experiences in the Activities section of the application. In my personal statement, I have described my local hospital and international volunteer work in considerable detail, as they have been crucial in my decision to pursue medicine. My question is: 1) should I be listing them in the 15 activities section? My guess is, yes, as I need to provide the duration/verifier info., etc., and 2) since I have already described them extensively in my personal statement, should I not pick them as two of my significant experiences? If I do, I am afraid that there will be quite a bit of redundancy in terms of what I did and what I learned.

I am not sure how to tackle this effectively. Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

You should still list them as significant. If you do not, it would be contradictory to your PS. However, if you do have 2 other activities which you thought were as influential, then you might as well switch.

Hey guys,

I had a question regarding describing my significant experiences in the Activities section of the application. In my personal statement, I have described my local hospital and international volunteer work in considerable detail, as they have been crucial in my decision to pursue medicine. My question is: 1) should I be listing them in the 15 activities section? My guess is, yes, as I need to provide the duration/verifier info., etc., and 2) since I have already described them extensively in my personal statement, should I not pick them as two of my significant experiences? If I do, I am afraid that there will be quite a bit of redundancy in terms of what I did and what I learned.

I am not sure how to tackle this effectively. Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

I was hoping that the adcom will be able to infer that the experiences described in the PS are obviously significant. I am guessing that everyone will have at least one experience in their PS that was significant in their decision to pursue medicine. According to me it's a waste of space to describe the experience again and it's significance for you. But ya, as you said, it might seem as a contradiction otherwise. So confused!

Archived