Premed 101 Forums

Second degree or just try applying?

So I have been pondering this for a bit now and I thought I would ask here. Here's a quick background about myself: I've completed my undergrad in biochem and currently working towards completing my Masters (thesis based) in molecular biology in Ontario. Undergrad GPA was not great and my cGPA was around 3.45 and it was consistent each year. Graduate GPA is around 3.8 but it was only a few courses (as it is traditionally in any research based graduate program). I wasn't the most mature student during my undergraduate years (mature in the sense that I did not know what I wanted after finishing university and did not define a career path for myself and this lack of motivation really didn't do well for my grades)

Anyways, I have not yet written my MCAT but plan on doing so later this year. I do have a few extracurricular activities and will continue to volunteer more in order to increase my experience and competitiveness but my main question is what I should do next. My options that I have been considering are:

- get a job and apply next year

- do a second undergraduate degree

- get a job, do another undergraduate degree from athabasca at the same time and then apply next or the year after

Ideally, I would like to start working in order to support myself but would also like to increase my GPA. How feasible is it that I have a chance of getting in with my current undergraduate and graduate GPA? Also, how realistic is it to do another full time degree from athabasca while working? Can I possibly transfer my current undergraduate marks (hopefully only the good ones) and finish in 1-2 years time?

I'm really out of ideas right now of what to do so if anyone has any suggestions it would be great. Sorry if this post isn't very coherent...I was just writing my thoughts as they came out. Anyways, thanks for the help.

I would just try applying! Kill your MCAT. UofT likes research. Queen's has reasonable cut offs based on MCAT and file review (at least they used to) for grad students. Mac likes everything (life experience?)! I don't know enough about other schools, hopefully others can comment on those...

To be honest, your chances of getting in based on your current stats aren't very good.

Without doing a second undergrad degree, if you did very well on your MCAT you might have a shot at McMaster, and as EoE said, Queen's may be an option. Even with a killer MCAT though, that's only really two schools - which leaves a lot of eggs in just two baskets!

The good news though is a 3.45 GPA is totally salvageable. You can transfer credits and do a second undergrad degree in two years (do two years, not one). If you did two more years and had a 4.0, your chances would be markedly improved, especially if you managed a high MCAT score.

But it looks to me like you already know all this, you seem more at a crossroads. You sound ready to move on; honestly, when I read your post you didn't seem that passionate about pursuing medicine as a career.

I think unless you are dead set on entering medicine, you should find a job. Working will only boost your resume and experience and give you more to talk about in an interview. More importantly, it will hone your motivation - if you work for two years and realize that it's not floating your boat, you'll be that much more motivated to put in the time and energy required to get into medicine.

But listen to your heart here. Dig deep - if medicine really is your passion, pursue it. If you managed a 3.45 while not really trying that hard, if you put in the effort you will get in eventually.

Archived