Premed 101 Forums

McMaster schedule

From my understanding during preclerkships students have lectures, clinical skills, pbl and professional competencies. Asides from clinical skills are the rest held at the McMaster campus? Also how is the parking at the general/st joes and henderson?

During clerkship do students typically stay in the Hamilton area or move to surrounding areas as well? Also, can Hamilton students doing core rotations in Niagara/Waterloo and vice versa or at your home campus only?

students I know from the hamilton campus do rotations all over the place...from newmarket to owen sound to st catherines to oakville etc

From my understanding during preclerkships students have lectures, clinical skills, pbl and professional competencies. Asides from clinical skills are the rest held at the McMaster campus? Also how is the parking at the general/st joes and henderson?

During clerkship do students typically stay in the Hamilton area or move to surrounding areas as well? Also, can Hamilton students doing core rotations in Niagara/Waterloo and vice versa or at your home campus only?

Does anyone know the answer to the first part of the poster's question as I am interested in that information as well? Also, when students go downtown or the mountain hospital, how does parking work there? Are there spots and what is the cost? Is it worth it to take the car or bus it?

Clinical skills and pbl sessions can be held at any of the hospitals in Hamilton and everything else is at Mac.

Parking at St. joes is not bad you can usually find 3hr parking on the side streets for pbl and same goes for the juravinski (formerly the henderson) -although it might be a bit of a walk

Clerkship - If you are a Hamilton student, your core rotations will be in Hamilton but Brantford, Grimsby, Burlington etc are considered as sites for the Hamilton campus so you may not physically be in Hamilton! I don't believe you can do cores at the regional sites and vice versa.

As said, if you are a Hamilton campus student, both PBL tutorials (2x/wk) and clinical skills (1x/wk) have a strong chance of being at St. Joe's, Henderson (now called Juravinski) and the General. The program strongly encourages that you have a car and not rely on a bus! That being said, a few of my classmates don't drive. But when you get to clerkship, you might be placed at a remote site with NO public transportation - what are you going to do then? Cars are 100% mandatory in residency (except maybe if you're at UofT or something). When you have to be at one hospital from 7-12, go an academic halfday at another hospital for 1-4:30, and back to the first hospital for call at 5, you don't want to rely on public transportation.

Parking at St. Joe's: It's very easy to find a 3 hr parking spot a 5-10min walk away from the hospital. Most spots are 3hrs between 8-6pm. Parking in the hospital parking lot can run you between $15-20 for a mere 3 hours.

Parking at Juravinski: This one is a little more challenging. There used to be a daycare parking lot that was always empty, but now they're enforcing their "No Parking" signs a little more. So there's 3 hour parking spots about a 10min walk away, and there's a few coveted ones a little bit closer, but they fill up quickly.

Parking at the General: Most people park at the Food Basics down the street, then walk the 5-10min.

Parking at MUMC: Definitely the hardest of the 4. There's only 1hr parking in the immediate area, and 2hr parking a 10min walk away. If you can rent someone's driveway, that would be cheapest. We do NOT get free parking on campus as students!

In terms of clerkship rotations: As a Hamilton campus student, there is a good chance you will be outside of the Hamilton area for at least one core (ie mandatory) clerkship rotation. For example, I am in Newmarket for 4 weeks, and spent 4 weeks in Oakville. I've stayed closer to Hamilton than some of my Hamilton campus classmates, who are doing mandatory rotations in such places as Barrie, Owen Sound, Cobourg, Brantford, and Penetanguishene. There is also a chance that you could be in Waterloo or Niagara's territory - for example some of my campus peers were in St. Catherine's for their surgery core. It is based the availability of preceptors.

As for the living situation, most people live somewhere in Hamilton by the time clerkship comes around. Those that commuted from Toronto in preclerkship have places to crash in Hamilton now that the craziness of clerkship is here.

In terms of clerkship rotations: As a Hamilton campus student, there is a good chance you will be outside of the Hamilton area for at least one core (ie mandatory) clerkship rotation. For example, I am in Newmarket for 4 weeks, and spent 4 weeks in Oakville. I've stayed closer to Hamilton than some of my Hamilton campus classmates, who are doing mandatory rotations in such places as Barrie, Owen Sound, Cobourg, Brantford, and Penetanguishene. There is also a chance that you could be in Waterloo or Niagara's territory - for example some of my campus peers were in St. Catherine's for their surgery core. It is based the availability of preceptors.

Are the rotations in Newmarket and Barrie limited to Hamilton Campus students? The reason I'm asking is that I'm a Niagara campus student, however both of those towns are close to my home town, so I wouldn't mind rotating there.

Also, I was under the impression that students from each of the campuses were restricted to doing their core rotations in hospitals affiliated with their "base" campus, so St. Catharines students do rotations in Niagara Region Hospitals, Waterloo students in Waterloo region hospitals, etc. However, according to your post students from Hamilton were rotating in St. Catharines, which I thought was not allowed, and thus I'm a bit confused.

Lastly, are we allowed any choice in where we do our cores? As I said before there are some towns that I wouldn't mind doing cores in, but would I have any opportunity to express this preference?

Are the rotations in Newmarket and Barrie limited to Hamilton Campus students? The reason I'm asking is that I'm a Niagara campus student, however both of those towns are close to my home town, so I wouldn't mind rotating there.

I don't know - there's an online matching system where we rank our prefs for sites for core rotations. I only know the options for Hamilton campus students. Try to contact a satellite campus student if you can.

Also, I was under the impression that students from each of the campuses were restricted to doing their core rotations in hospitals affiliated with their "base" campus, so St. Catharines students do rotations in Niagara Region Hospitals, Waterloo students in Waterloo region hospitals, etc. However, according to your post students from Hamilton were rotating in St. Catharines, which I thought was not allowed, and thus I'm a bit confused.

Yes, that is the general rule. However, Hamilton preceptors are always changing sites/going on vacations/don't want anymore students, so the program sometimes has to offer sites to Hamilton students that are usually only for the satellite campus students. It's rare. 90% of the time we stick to our base sites, but if space becomes an issue then people might get shuffled around a bit.

Lastly, are we allowed any choice in where we do our cores? As I said before there are some towns that I wouldn't mind doing cores in, but would I have any opportunity to express this preference?
Yup, as I mentioned there's an online ranking system. You usually have at least 3-4 choices for each mandatory core (but I can only speak for Hamilton campus students). About 1 month before each rotation, you ranks your prefs, than a computer lottery system spits our your site. People have swapped sites if they want.

Why not ask Wendy, Sue or the regional campus dean and get a definite answer?

Archived