Premed 101 Forums

Going back to finish pre reqs.. will there be a problem?

Okay, I've been on the boards for a bit now, here's a quick background scoop.

First two years general science pre reqs done for med: full year english, math, stats, full year chem, full year biol, the rest were social science courses like psych, soc, econ. No years were a full 30 credit year.

Transferred into nursing. I think I will finish off the degree since I only have 1.5 years left. Now my question is, because I am only eligible to apply to Calgary and possibly Queens (depending on my MCAT), I'm thinking of going back to sciences after i'm done nursing to a) complete the remaining pre reqs (biochem, ochem and physics) and to B) take 30 credits . This plan will take two years and it'll open up more schools for me to apply to particulary eyeing UofA since i'm IP Alberta. But because I didn't take full course loads in my first two years of science nor will I be taking upper 300+ level courses, I won't have a Science degree when its all said and done..(but I don't really care), just wondering if there are any negatives or potential problems you see with my plan.

Edit: I am planning to write my MCAT this summer, it's been tough thus far and I only would like to write this exam once (but I'll write it again if I score bad).. I'm thinking of now postponing the MCAT because many schools will only take MCAT scores from the last 5 years or so, with that being said.. I have another 1.5 years+2 years (my plan above) before I feel I will be a legitimate applicant to med (need to increase long term volunteer activities and boost cGPA), and by then i only have a short window before my MCAT expires and then I'll have to rewrite again..so yeah, what do you guys think of writing the MCAT at a later date..

What about U of S, Dal, Memorial, MacMaster? None of those schools have prereqs? Also NOSM depending on where you live in Alberta?

It sounds like you actually have been studying hard thus far and personally I would just write at this point and apply this year if you are happy with your mark? But if you really want to finish the nraing then that's another story I suppose. Personally I'm getting old so I just want to get it done!!! :-)

my marks aren't good enough for those OOP schools (3.5GPA with significant upward trend kinda, 2.7,3.9,3.5,4.0), and there are so many benefits to completing my nursing degree, not only is it a solid backup career but then i'll also get to drop my "worst" year for calgary and uofa.

Ahhh I see. I was wondering about just applying to med and getting in rather than just quitting nursing to do prereqs. You are right, nursing is a perfect back up plan. If you only want to write the MCAT once and are going to complete nursing an then the science prereqs then I would postpone. Then you will have covered ochem and not have to learn it yourself. If you feel that you are nearly there in terms off getting a competitive MCAT mark I would consider writing now and again later if you are open to that because you can apply now and continue to apply to U of C and Queens with the possibility of getting in before you have to take the extra two years of sciences??

Just some thoughts... Good luck with whatever you decide!!

Why haven’t you been taking a full course load, or close to a full course load?

Your reasons for going back to science are to complete pre-reqs and take 30 credits. The former you could do through distance education. The latter confuses me. How are you going to return to science? In what faculty, year, etc. will you be enrolled and what will you be working towards? Just taking 10 courses for the sake of getting 30 credits, may be frowned upon by some universities.

One doesn’t need a degree in science to be a stellar candidate, nor does it benefit a person. What you need to meet are the specific requirements of the universities, which vary as you are aware. Since you’re an IP, I would not rule out UofA. Make sure you meet their pre-req requirements, have a one year with full-course load...

With your GPA, of 3.9 and 4.0, you will be good for western, provided you meet the MCAT cut-offs, and the courses in 4 year were 60% 3rd/4th year. With the 3.5, provided you get >10 on VR, you have a slight chance at McMaster. With the 3.5 and 4.0, and if you meet the MCAT requirements, you may get Queen as well. Remember that Queens and Western don't have IP/OOP (UWO only gives preference to SWOMEN).

As for the MCAT, since you were planning on taking it this summer, I’m assuming you have started studying. If you are doing average, keep practicing. You still have 2 months before the end of the summer. Finishing the MCAT and doing well will release a colossal burden from your shoulder. The MCAT is good for 5 years. With your plan, you should be in a medical school by five years. Even if your plan changes, and you decide to write MCAT next year again, the studying you did this year will work in your favour and help you do better, improving your chance.

PS. Agree with AG, about writing the MCAT, and applying to UC and Queens.

Thanks zxcv, the nursing program is set up in a way that it doesn't allow me to take a full 30 credits in a year. I have done all my electives for nursing while I was in science before I transferred in. We do 6 weeks in the classroom and then 6 weeks of clinical (which is scheduled from 7am to 12am on beartracks) and that's one semester. Essentially, all nursing courses are 6 weeks long, and it's impossible to schedule a 12 week course into your time table.

Taking the pre reqs through distance learning is a good idea, but how do I get a 30credit year under my belt if it is impossible for me to do that in nursing? any ideas? I thought I could easily just apply back to Sciences since I was in it the first two years of university and complete a 30 credit year that way, but yea you brought up the concern of this being frowned upon by some universities.. so now im stuck

Thanks zxcv, the nursing program is set up in a way that it doesn't allow me to take a full 30 credits in a year. I have done all my electives for nursing while I was in science before I transferred in. We do 6 weeks in the classroom and then 6 weeks of clinical (which is scheduled from 7am to 12am on beartracks) and that's one semester. Essentially, all nursing courses are 6 weeks long, and it's impossible to schedule a 12 week course into your time table.

Taking the pre reqs through distance learning is a good idea, but how do I get a 30credit year under my belt if it is impossible for me to do that in nursing? any ideas? I thought I could easily just apply back to Sciences since I was in it the first two years of university and complete a 30 credit year that way, but yea you brought up the concern of this being frowned upon by some universities.. so now im stuck

There are a number of things you can do:

1. Write to the university and see if they will waive the course load requirement, due to the nature of the program. I'm sure there are other nursing students in your situation.

2. Do the 30 credits through distance education.

3. If you did 2 years in science, then apply for another year but do it in such a way that you get a bachelor; a double major will look better on the app.

4. Do 30 credits, provied you haven't graduated, and try to get a minor.

Archived