Premed 101 Forums

How do you feel about your current research project?

Cerena

How do you feel about your current research project?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How do you feel about your current research project?

• Very interested
    • Somewhat interested
    • Neutral
    • Somewhat uninterested
    • Very uninterested

Research project is interesting

but all the awesomeness of it is being shadowed by the lab members ,which are just irritating, disrespectful,acting like high school students,etc..

I've been working there for a month now, and there's drama every single day...Can't wait to leave next week!

Hope yall are having a better research experience :)

Research project is interesting

but all the awesomeness of it is being shadowed by the lab members ,which are just irritating, disrespectful,acting like high school students,etc..

I've been working there for a month now, and there's drama every single day...Can't wait to leave next week!

Hope yall are having a better research experience :)

Aw, boa. That's not good! How is the relationship you have with your supervisor?

I love the process of research. It is so cool to be able to follow a interesting thread that might pop up and see how it changes your perspective, either adding to your hypothesis or suggesting something different is happening. Unfortunately my research is very difficult to apply to the real world, so it can sometimes feel a little bit trivial. I mean, obviously science is built upon years and years of people doing 'trivial' research, so hopefully someone will see value in it, but sometimes it is a struggle to think about the number of hours I spend in the lab to get maybe 15 pages of results in my thesis. Most projects out there are much more applicable than mine though... I have a kind of a funny project :P

Aw, boa. That's not good! How is the relationship you have with your supervisor?

Hey C, its good to see you back on the web :D

The supervisor is great. It's the supervisor's assistant that I have a problem with. I might be too sensitive but I don't appreciate when someone tries to sabotage my research project... and I can't even talk about it to the supervisor because they are best friends (theyve known each other for like 10 + years)...

Anyways I try not to think about it to much, as Im leaving the lab next week.

Hey C, its good to see you back on the web :D

The supervisor is great. It's the supervisor's assistant that I have a problem with. I might be too sensitive but I don't appreciate when someone tries to sabotage my research project... and I can't even talk about it to the supervisor because they are best friends (theyve known each other for like 10 + years)...

Anyways I try not to think about it to much, as Im leaving the lab next week.

Oh! Well there you go :) You get this little baby soon.

I liked the research project I did last year, but my supervisor was not a good match for me at all. She was so rude. One day I went to her office and she had a chair vacant, but her bag was on it. Out of respect I stood and talked, but our conversation dragged on for a bit and I ended up sitting on the floor... I hated her.

I liked the research project I did last year, but my supervisor was not a good match for me at all. She was so rude. One day I went to her office and she had a chair vacant, but her bag was on it. Out of respect I stood and talked, but our conversation dragged on for a bit and I ended up sitting on the floor... I hated her.

sitting on the floor? wow..

I was really interested in the project at first, and it's really applicable to the way clinicians stay updated on medical info, butttt now we've been working on the study design and piloting it for 10 weeks now and I just want to start the stupid thing already. I want to start, finish and write the manuscript so I can try and squeeze in another week of work-free summer before med starts in the fall! so frustrating.. haha

otherwise, I love my lab. a good combination of chill and keen, and people there trust you to do your work and everyone's professional.

I've loved my projects and my entire lab (supervisor included) for the three years that I've been working there. To be honest, I really lucked out because I knew nothing about research/grad school before I started and ended up in a really ideal situation - well funded lab, money to attend/present at conferences, supervisor who is willing to let you explore your own research ideas provided you cover the projects in his grant. My supervisor was even kind enough to offer me a job after graduation so that I could finish up some projects and make some money during my "year off".

The only thing that has bothered me lately is having to share a piece of equipment with another member of the lab as she tends to be selfish and inconsiderate with regards to shared use of the machine. For various members of the lab, their tolerance/patience for this person has been wearing thin and things have really reached a boiling point over the last year to year and a half. I was one of her few remaining allies in the lab (to be clear everyone likes her as a person, but can't stand her as a colleague), but her recent behavior has driven me to the "dark side" and made me really resent her. It's even to the point where I can't be in a room with her or look her in the eyes because I'm so frustrated with her lack of consideration for others, questionable work ethic and apparent attitude of "if I just slack off/play dumb someone will eventually do this work for me/cover for me, etc.". People are finally starting to call her out on her B.S. or are ignoring her, but I'm trying remain friendly and professional, especially because I'm moving in less than 2 months. *sigh* Hard to believe she'll have a PhD when everything is said and done.

*end of rant*

I find my summer research is super boring. But the lab mates are super fun and we go drinking almost every other day. We also make dry ice bombs with microfuge tubes to pass the time :P

Side note, what a waste of tax dollars. Most undergrad students in the lab basically slack off the whole summer it seems. The PI is away on vacation and people spend most of their time on facebook, youtube and other non-productive means. The NSERC funding dollars for these students would've been better spend elsewhere, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
I find my summer research is super boring. But the lab mates are super fun and we go drinking almost every other day. We also make dry ice bombs with microfuge tubes to pass the time :P

Side note, what a waste of tax dollars. Most undergrad students in the lab basically slack off the whole summer it seems. The PI is away on vacation and people spend most of their time on facebook, youtube and other non-productive means. The NSERC funding dollars for these students would've been better spend elsewhere, IMO.

Unfortunately that's what happens when supervisors choose researchers based on GPA- one potential supervisor basically told me "you interviewed very well and seem like a good fit, but we have a candidate with a higher GPA (think 3.9 vs 3.7) so we are picking them." Thank goodness most med schools take a more holistic approach!

Then again I'm probably just jealous I didn't get to play with the colourful fish in a lab and get paid for it ;)

Archived