Premed 101 Forums

What are my chances?

Hi all,

I have been browsing on and off from this website to get some insight, or at least advice into my personal dillemma. But first! My current stats:

1st year-3.73(9 courses)

2nd year-3.77(10 courses)

3rd year-3.62 (10 courses)- Was a tough year!

4th year- not completeted

EC: Volunteering 2 years at the hospital (80 hrs), Organic chem tutor, medical responder (not SFA or first aid lol) for St.Johns Ambulance, volunteer at a soup kitchen, working at the hospital as a dietary attendant, captain of intramural basketball team (2 yrs running), summer camp counsellor ( 2years-80 hrs).

Currently signing up for letstalkscience-which should be fun; as well as looking for an interesting research position (my curiosity is kicking in)

Sorry for the long rant, my issue here is regarding my chances of getting into medical school if I was planning on staying back for a 5th year. However, I am planning on not purposely graduating in my 4th year but rather in my 5th:eek:

Why you may ask? Simply because I have decided to take a minor, and would need to take some pre-req courses( for my minor) in my 4th year so I will be eligible to take the advanced courses( for my minor) in my 5th year as well as graduate on time( by my 5th year). Another issue is that most of my minor courses; and some that I did not complete from first year are mainly 2nd year courses. Would med schools flag a potential candidiate with six 2nd year classes and four upper year classes in his/her 4th year as well as graduating after his/her 5th year with a major and a minor. HELP!:(

P.S: I am a realist, so I know my chances at uOttawa are out so saving myself 75 bucks

Archived