Premed 101 Forums

Additional courses to increase GPA

Hi All!

Just wondering if any of you non-trads are taking additional classes (either as a non-classified student or distance, not as a full-time student registered in a degree program) to increase your GPA?

I'm wondering if this is looked down upon? Has anyone done this and been successful?

I'm just under most of the GPA cut-offs but feel if I could at least get my file reviewed, I would do well in the non-academic portion assessment pre-interview (lots of research, work expereince, awards, EC's). My MCAT is 31Q.

Any suggestions! Thanks!!

I work full time and have a 1.5yr old daughter. Full time school isn't an option, so I'm taking my pre-req's by correspondence (which will hopefully bring up my GPA too!). I think a lot of previous posters have advised about doing your degree in the most traditional way possible (ie. full time, degree), but for schools that use the cGPA, any classes you take other than those dropped by a schools respective formula will count towards your GPA. UBC is a good example because everything except your worst year goes into the calculation.

But taking one class at a time like i'm doing is a very very slow way to bring up the GPA, every A I get barely put's a dent into bringing up the overall A-.

Archived