Premed 101 Forums

Time for research/electives

Hi guys,

I heard that Ottawa med is pretty good for providing us with extra time for electives/time for studying. I'm currently working in a lab this summer, and was wondering if the amount of "extra time" they give us would be enough to be able to volunteer at a lab? I guess I'm just wondering how much "extra time" they actually provide? I mean, is it sortoff like having the afternoon off everyday and they expect us to use that time for doing ECs/electives?

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday you (first years) finish at 12:30. Thursdays you'll finish ~4:30, depending on your group. You can do whatever you want with that time - electives, research, other paid work, study, go to the gym, sleep - you get the idea!

Yeah, Thursdays are actually 8:00-12:30 and then 1:30-4:30 (or whenever your group finishes). Definitely a long day - but we only have a long day once a week as compared to a lot of other schools who have longer days everyday. By and large the rest of the week it's just 8:30-12:30. There are things you will need to do outside of those hours, but the one with the biggest time commitment I can think of is afternoons with a family doc in 2nd semester (but you schedule those with the doc).

Just a note, 2nd year is the same schedule but on different days - I think the long day is Wednesdays (although I can't remember 100%).

Archived