Premed 101 Forums

No more references?

Hey,

Did anyone else notice the reminder on the admissions website saying "We do not require reference letters to be submitted for this application cycle". I find it hard to believe they wouldn't need references. I know they aren't specifically used as part of scoring the application, but it still seems odd.

References were never required for step one. They were only required if you received an interview. Last year they didn't use them in the scoring, and it is pretty clear from the website "We have eliminated the requirement for reference letters to be submitted as part of our application process beginning with the 2011-12 admissions cycle"

And that explains why there was no place to input contact info for a 1st reference (although I had a place for my 2nd reference). It has now been updated on the dal online application so that has been completely removed. As for the admissions website they have updated that at least twice, now it says what bobx2010 posted. Interesting decision, I guess they feel that references were not providing anything significant in the selection of candidates. The letters used to be worth 15 pts!

References were never required for step one. They were only required if you received an interview. Last year they didn't use them in the scoring, and it is pretty clear from the website "We have eliminated the requirement for reference letters to be submitted as part of our application process beginning with the 2011-12 admissions cycle"

Yeah, I didn't see that until you said it had changed. It definitely is more convenient for applicants and the admissions office, although it raises some other interesting issues. I'm not complaining, though! Goodbye reference letters! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived