Premed 101 Forums

Housing Question

I was wondering if any med students can shed some light into some of the housing options close to Mac and the pros and cons in regards to proxmity to hospitals, safety of the areas, parking, noise levels, etc

1. Homes close to Mac (emerson, on king, etc)

2. West Village Suites

3. Appartments in Dundas

4. Living downtown near St Joes

5. Living near the chedoke golf course

I don't know too much about some of the places but I'll try!

1. Close to Mac - the places don't tend to be as nice (at least the places that I saw). I live on King right in front of the bus stop and there's a considerable amount of noise. I've gotten used to it but it still bothers my roommates. South of Mac I'm not sure what the noise level is in the evenings but I don't think its too bad! Pros about living this area is that its close to Mac so easy to get to lectures and PC and maybe tutorial but far from the other hospitals. The buses come very frequently to Mac and there's a shuttle to the other hospitals so its not difficult getting around.

2. West Village Suites - from what I hear they are really nice. They put a cap on your internet usage though so if you have gamers as roommates that might not work out as well! They have a gym, parking, AC - all pros! Cons - a little far from campus and other hospitals but close enough that you could bike to Mac.

3. Apartments in Dundas - far from school and hospitals but if you have a car then its no big deal. You may end up just paying more for parking on campus etc but there are buses that go to Dundas frequently too! Dundas is a really cute town and nicer than Hamilton, close to some of the conservation areas too so good for hikes and bike rides etc.

4. Near St Joes - great place to live, very central. Close to all the entertainment and there's a great farmer's market in Jackson square that you're close too. Parking can be an issue if you don't get it with your place - street side parking can be unsafe. Buses are close and frequent, easy to bike around to places, close to St. Joes and the General but far from Mac where most things are in 1st year.

5. Chedoke - great area but need a car b/c I don't think any buses go down that way or they aren't very frequent. Prob far from where everyone else lives although there are a couple of people in my class who live in this area.

I know Mac says you need a car but in 1st year many of us didn't get one and were fine. So if you're going to get a car and take that to school then living anywhere is not an issue! Obv there may be a little bias on my part - maybe ask on the Mac forum for more input!

Archived