Premed 101 Forums

study strategies

pantheraonca

hi! i am currently studying for the mcat (writing sept 2), and i was getting a bit stressed because i'm not entirely certain how to best study for it (the science part) ?

and i know this has been discussed before and generally it seems that practice problems are more beneficial than just reading through material, but i have the EK 1001 books and after finally going through a few chapters, it seems that this isnt the best way, because the questions dont seem to be representative of the AAMC tests..

does any one have any good practice resources or study strategies that are (hopefully) free, or not too pricey?

(i have also been working through the AAMC tests and only have one of those left which i am planning on doing next week)

What kind of science background do you have? Recent, fresh in your mind prereqs? If so I would probably read all of the EK books but only take notes on the sections you don't know well or have difficulty on. If you are really strong just do questions and if you get a question wrong go to that section and study it more in depth until you know it.

I say this having limited science background and currently studying for my first attempt at the MCAT. It's completely the opposite of how I am studying - because I have limited knowledge I read each EK chapter, make notes, and do EK questions until I beat the topic to death. I think the EK questions are good for developing knowledge, which I need. But if you are really strong, you just need to do Mini MCATs, AAMC MCATs and other more representative material I think.

Archived