Premed 101 Forums

attire for med school

i was just wondering what students usually wear on a day to day basis? i am assuming that when in the hospital it is important to wear nice clothes, but on the days when we are in class or studying is it okay to wear causlar clothes?

also, can we wear shorts and t-shirts to school on the really hot days?

im hoping/guessing that pre-clinical years wouldnt be an issue in terms of clothing. i have a friend who said that for the last 2 clinical years he preferred wearing business casual under his lab coat.

so business cas is slacks and dress shirt?

clinic days.... khakis or some sort of variation with a collared shirt, usually a dress shirt, I've worn a polo shirt in some family med clinics when it seemed appropriate.

I'd hesitate to wear any type of denim in a clinic scenario. There are the odds exceptions. In a methadone clinic I was at the physician was in jeans and a tshirt and really tried to promote a more relaxed non judgmental setting. That's an exception.

In class: wear what you like, I have a mighty collection of sweatpants for the winter months...

• 5 weeks later...

i am trying to figure out what clothes to pack for the first semester. i have alot of jeans, t-shirts, and some dress shirts and pants. i was just wondering if this is appropriate or if there is other stuff i should be looking at as well?

what are all of you bringing?

On a normal school day at the faculty most people dress in t-shirt and jeans or sweat pants. Some prefer wearing their fancy tommy hilfiger attire but it really isn't necessary in this kind of setting, at least here in Quebec. I doubt it is very different in UOttawa.

During clerkship or in a clinical setting students usually wear a polo with clean pants, a shirt with clean dark jeans, a white coat and green scrubs with nothing but their undies ...

So as long as you dress AND dress decently there should be no problem ;)

On a normal school day at the faculty most people dress in t-shirt and jeans or sweat pants. Some prefer wearing their fancy tommy hilfiger attire but it really isn't necessary in this kind of setting, at least here in Quebec. I doubt it is very different in UOttawa.

During clerkship or in a clinical setting students usually wear a polo with clean pants, a shirt with clean dark jeans, a white coat and green scrubs with nothing but their undies ...

thanks. :)

You probably can't get away with jeans here in Ottawa. And a polo would be on the casual end of the clinical attire spectrum. There is a dress code somewhere on the website. Men should be ready to wear a tie to clinic but usually a dress shirt and pants are good.

You probably can't get away with jeans here in Ottawa. And a polo would be on the casual end of the clinical attire spectrum. There is a dress code somewhere on the website. Men should be ready to wear a tie to clinic but usually a dress shirt and pants are good.

do you mean you can't get away with jeans during your clerkship years? what during pre-clerkship years? or just on a day to day basis (i.e., coming to class, studying at uOttawa campus, going out on a fri/sat night?)

do you mean you can't get away with jeans during your clerkship years? what during pre-clerkship years? or just on a day to day basis (i.e., coming to class, studying at uOttawa campus, going out on a fri/sat night?)

Jeans are fine for the stuff you mentioned (class, studying, going out)... but keep in mind, even in first year, as of the 2nd Thursday of the school year or so, you'll be in the hospital practicing interviewing skills on real patients. For those situations, you'll want something similar to khakis, a dress shirt and some decent shoes.

Jeans is absolutely NOT proper hospital attire.

Of course, in quebec everything is much more casual (i.e. there were people in jeans and polos at the interviews!).

Once you're a doctor, do what you want.

While you're a med student, dress professionally.

Archived