Premed 101 Forums

Part 2 - Volunteer experience/medically related/jobs

Hi guys,

From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong), in the past they meant "volunteer experience" to be non-medically related, which meant that it and "medically related experience" were two separate categories with no overlap. This year, however, it just says "volunteer experience" and does not specify that it has to be non-medically related. I am wondering if people are still separating these when filling them out, or if you are listing things in both (i.e. some medically related experience will obviously be volunteer experience for most of us). In previous years, I understand that people wrote jobs and medically related experience in both if they fell into both categories, but I'm wondering about the overlap between medically related and volunteer now. It seems redundant to put them in both, but maybe there is a reason they did not specify the volunteering experience to be non-medically related this year. What are you guys doing for this?

I emailed the admissions office about this and they clearly said to only list each activity once! It's annoying because it "looks bad" (my volunteer and jobs section will be almost empty!!), but I really think they aren't stupid and they know what is a job and what is volunteering, even if it's in the "medically related" category.

Archived