Premed 101 Forums

Need some advice?

Hey guys.

I have a low cGPA of 3.0. (Dropped out of school for personal reasons in second year/my mom was diagnosed with cancer in my 3rd year).

My marks goes as follows:

Year 1 = 2.22

A = 2.2

B = 2.24

Year 2 = 2.86

A = 2.75

B = 2.95

Year 3 = 3.27

A = 3.12

B = 3.42

Year 4 = 3.7

A = 3.5

B = 3.87

I got into University of Melbourne for my doctorate of Physiotherapy.

The only problem is that the whole thing will cost me around 170,000$.

Since year 3 and 4 averages out to be a GPA of 3.495, would you guys suggest i try some schools in Canada? Or take an extra term (last 3 terms = GPA of 3.612)?

Thanks

My advice would be to email the admissions advisor for each canadian physio program and ask them the admission stats for the past couple years: number of applicants, number of spots in the program and lowest admitted GPA. That would give you a good idea as to whether or not you may have a chance with your current GPA. I found this ppt presentation with admissions info for Ontario PT/OT schools when I was looking into GPA info for applying to OT: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/69749093/Physio-_-Occupational-Therapy-2010 If I were in your shoes though, I would probably register in 3-4 classes this september to raise my GPA to a 3.6-3.7 and forget about oz. 170K debt would be pretty horrible to pay off :(

ps. I saw your other post and you mention in term 4B you took 6 courses? In this case your sGPA would actually be up to 3.515. WOO!! If you do a fall semester and took 4 courses term 3A would be out of your sGPA. Even if you took only 3 courses in the fall and got 3.7s, that would bring your sGPA up to a 3.6 (term 3A average would only be weighted for 1 course)... even better 4 courses with 4.0s would bring it up to nearly 3.7.

Good luck!!! It's definitely possible to do if you really want it!! :)

My advice would be to go back to school for another year and raise that GPA. I think almost all physiotherapy schools use the last 60 credits. You have 3.7 in your 4th year and if you get another good year then you would hold a shot. I think they take them going back from Jan of the year you apply. So if you went back to school in the fall....they would take those marks from this fall, the marks from year 4, and then your winter/spring marks from 3rd year. Queen's physiotherapy cut-off has been 3.45 (in the past), so you might make their cutoff (it might fluctuate).....I know someone who got in with that....but they also had hundreds of hours volunteering at physio clinics/hospitals. 170,000 will be a lot of money to pay back, and going back to school isn't that bad!! (I've done it).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived