Premed 101 Forums

Practicing in the states

For someone studying medicine in Canada, what are the possible routes to take if he/she wants to practice in the states? I know that you can either go there for residency or after finishing residency in Canada. Does anyone know the exact steps to take? (i.e. USMLEs, qualifying exams, specialty exams, etc etc) I've heard different things from different people, but never anything definitive.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I've only got limited info for you. Hope someone fills in the rest.

To practice in the states, you first need to complete the USMLE. US grads take this exam during:

Step 1: end of 2nd year

Step 2: anytime 4th year.

Step 3: anytime intern year.

To apply to US residency, you must have taken step 1. Step 2 is optional but you are expected to write it before you start residency, whereas some programs will grant you a few months into residency to complete it especially being a foreign grad.

In your case, you can write it anytime it pleases you keeping in mind the above schedule. The further you are away from those years, the more murky your knowledge base becomes to the questions asked so it may result in more arduous studies.

Specialty exams are written near the end of your residency just as you would with the canadian equivalent. Often those in canadian grads would write both so that they have flexibility in their practice.

To move to the states, you need to complete all of the required exams, when you do them is up to you but you wouldn't be able to get licensed until you do.

some specialties are 'board eligible' in the united states. others are not.

if you are board eligible it means that you can write the board exams for the united states once you complete residency in canada (if you pass you become board certified). under those circumstances, you may not actually need to write the usmle to get an american license (the specialty exam trumps it).

you don't need to be board eligible to practice in the usa, but it can limit your options. why? many hospitals will not hire someone that is not board certified since they have private practice and having 'only board certified doctors and surgeons' is a marketing tactic.

in any case, having the usmle's can be helpful from the perspective of immigration visas if you are interested in pursuing a fellowship after residency in the usa. being usmle-certified makes you an essential service ('real doctor' as far as immigration is concerned) and thus it can be easier to get a position.

i hope you find that helpful.

best of luck.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the responses AnxiousBoy and entkeener! I'm wondering if there are any 'expiry' dates to the USMLES? For example, if I finish step 1, do I have to do Step 2 within a certain number of years? and, if i finish all 3 steps, are they still good if I want to go to the states 10-15 years later?

Thanks! :)

Archived