Premed 101 Forums

Should i take a year off?

Hi,

This is my first post. I am currently going into my 4th year, completing a BA. I

am interested in medical school and have the GPA for it. I am writing the MCAT next week and I am not that prepared for it and I think I will need to write it next summer...So should I do a 5th year or take the year off and work/travel. Thank-you for your assistance.

Hi,

This is my first post. I am currently going into my 4th year, completing a BA. I

am interested in medical school and have the GPA for it. I am writing the MCAT next week and I am not that prepared for it and I think I will need to write it next summer...So should I do a 5th year or take the year off and work/travel. Thank-you for your assistance.

I may be slightly biased (read: I am totally biased), but regardless if you take a year off or not, I would totally apply. At worst, it gives you experience with the application process, and it can show dedication to wanting to become a doctor.

As for taking a year off, I think you're fine as long as you are improving yourself in the eyes of the application reviewer (i.e. what did you do over the year [EC's, experience, etc.] that make you a more desirable candidate).

Good LUCK!

Based on this being posted in the Mac forum I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you at least apply here. The verbal section of the MCAT is very unpredictable above 11 (imho) and CASPER is like a lottery ticket. Mac doesn't even specifically look at ECs. I won't comment on other schools but there is plenty of info floating around to give you an idea of what you need to take a "safe" shot at getting an interview.

Archived