Premed 101 Forums

extenuating/special circumstances

hi everyone

i heard from someone that you can request UOttawa that your application be considered even if you do not make the minimum cutoffs for GPA if you have extenuating circumstances. i am wondering if anyone here has requested such special consideration and has had any luck - i'm a student who had a very tough undergrad financially and personally (deaths in my family, serious personal health issues, financial problems etc.) and although my marks are not super low, they still don't make the cutoffs. having said that, i don't know of many other people who have had as many problems as i have, all at once, and i have proof of all these terrible things happening during my undergrad, so i would think that i have a strong case to make at least.

i am wondering if anyone else has heard of this special consideration and if anyone has had any success with it. if so, please do reply, it would give me so much hope! please PM me if you'd rather not post here. and if anyone knows that this is just a rumour and there is no way UOttawa ever waives the GPA requirement, please let me know in that case too! thank you :)

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

To be completely honest, I don't know the answers to your questions. What I might suggest is that you call Chantal at the admissions office(613-562-5409) as she's SUPER nice and she'll listen to your concerns. Seeing as though she's the admissions officer, she'll know the "rules" - the ones known to the public and the ones they don't disclose - and will be able to guide you in the right direction.

Good luck!

This is something I'm interested in finding out as well. I don't think we'd be able to apply if it is below the cut-off. Here is what's stated on the med school's website FAQ #25:

"25. My wgpa is .02 less from the required minimum required average. Will my application advance in the selection process?

Under no circumstances will exceptions be granted. Candidates must reach the set required minimum wgpa."

This is something I'm interested in finding out as well. I don't think we'd be able to apply if it is below the cut-off. Here is what's stated on the med school's website FAQ #25:

"25. My wgpa is .02 less from the required minimum required average. Will my application advance in the selection process?

Under no circumstances will exceptions be granted. Candidates must reach the set required minimum wgpa."

yeah. normally, at other schools i think special consideration wrt to gpa may be considered. however, at uOttawa, gpa is the only academic component that is evaluated. it's worth a try, but i think it might be a longshot.

what year are you in if you don't mind me asking? some schools drop your lowest year so maybe it's best to apply to those schools? From my understanding, ottawa is very strickt about their cutoffs, and you might have to speak with the associate dean about 'special considerations'. However, don't ever loose hope =)

Archived