Premed 101 Forums

Non-Trad applicant: Application related Questions

Hi everyone,

I am a non-trad applicant and new to this site. Just came across this site while browsing the web for application related info and find this site to be a very useful resource.

I am starting to look into the application and prepare for it. With regards to the autobiographical sketch, I have started to jot down things I would like to mention in it but I am having trouble getting started on the actual writing. Is anyone willing to share a sample sketch or even their sketch that I could use to get an idea and get started on my own. I know there are awesome people on this site offering advise and services such as feedback which I will be using but the problem I am having is getting started. Anyone else also had that problem? Any guidance with regards to that would be great too.

Another question is related to reference letters - I have worked in various jobs over the last few years and was wondering if I could use 1-2 work related references (not academic, not medical related).

I will have a lot more questions as I start the application so I will post them here. Hope to hear your advise and comments.

Thanks!

Don't really have any sketch stuff handy (and can't find my omsas 2011 account). But you can certainly use work-related references. Be careful though, often medical schools like to see references who have known you for awhile - you say you've worked "various" jobs; I'd be sure to only use references who have known you long enough to be able to comment extensively and believably on your character.

To put it into perspective, my three references were a prof I had for two small seminar classes that I did very well in, a work supervisor I had worked with for two years, and a volunteer coordinator I had worked with for three. This combination along with the amount of time I worked with them is probably pretty average for med school applicants.

Thank you Simpy. I was thinking of using my manager as a reference and I have worked 2 years for him, the other two refs will most likely be my profs from undergrad that have known me well (I worked in one's lab for 1.5 years and took 3 courses with the other). So, I hope they can give me good reference letters.

If you do find some sketch stuff, can you please let me know via PM? I would greatly appreciate some help with that.

Thanks

the sketch is a list of 48 events with details, although maybe some schools ask for more of a prose piece?

for myself, i had a few glasses of wine and started writing an autobiography, and after some editing gave it to my ref's along with transcripts and what the school is looking for in an applicant. the autobigraphy helped me with the details for sketch, and also for the questions i had to answer.

just have fun with it!

Does anyone have any tips on how to include abstracts, presentations and publications in your application? Obviously I know to put it under research in your sketch, but my concern is if I have my name on a few abstracts and then presentations and stuff that takes up quite a few of your 48 items. Do people combine these or is there really no other way, I just include each abstract as a research item? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

Archived