Premed 101 Forums

To retake or not to retake *urgent*

S&G

Hi all,

I took my exam not too long ago, however, I did not want to check my scores as I was super nervous and had this thought that test centers would be available in September, if I had to retake it.

Well, I checked it. My first MCAT score was 30N (10 9 9 N), and was dissatisfied. My GPA is about 3.68, and I had received an interview in UofA after graduating. I'm now a graduate student with a year left to go, and retook the MCAT just to improve my application.

Well my recent MCAT came out as 27 R. I vastly improved my writing, which I am still thoroughly happy about; however, my scores came out as (10 5 12 R)... a 5 in verbal!!! I've never gotten below 9 in any of my practice exams, and I only received 9 in one of my practice exams. This is quite devastating.

Furthermore, the only test center available in Calgary (where I live) is in 12 days (august 18th), and none available in September. The closest one is in Victoria BC, which is on September 2nd, but I'll have to take a flight down there....

What would you do in my situation? I'm quite disheartened, as I could have checked my scores earlier to avoid this whole issue, but I am not about to dwell on my mistakes now. Should I keep my 30 N, since the best chances I have in admission lies in Alberta, and they take the best MCAT scores? Or should I retake it even sacrificing some 400-500 dollars to improve my chances in other universities? Assuming that I will do better this time... I do have the knowledge in the back of my mind, I'll have to refresh it again, but practice verbal to minimize the mistakes I made...

You got 10 9 9 in your first MCAT, how is that 30? That's 28. And I don't think a 9 in VR, plus a < 30 mark on the MCAT is competitive. And this presumes that they'll take your higher score, other schools take the latest score instead, in which case they're looking at a 5 in VR which will definitely make it hard if not impossible for you to get in.

Hi all,

I took my exam not too long ago, however, I did not want to check my scores as I was super nervous and had this thought that test centers would be available in September, if I had to retake it.

Well, I checked it. My first MCAT score was 30N (10 9 9 N), and was dissatisfied. My GPA is about 3.68, and I had received an interview in UofA after graduating. I'm now a graduate student with a year left to go, and retook the MCAT just to improve my application.

Well my recent MCAT came out as 27 R. I vastly improved my writing, which I am still thoroughly happy about; however, my scores came out as (10 5 12 R)... a 5 in verbal!!! I've never gotten below 9 in any of my practice exams, and I only received 9 in one of my practice exams. This is quite devastating.

Furthermore, the only test center available in Calgary (where I live) is in 12 days (august 18th), and none available in September. The closest one is in Victoria BC, which is on September 2nd, but I'll have to take a flight down there....

What would you do in my situation? I'm quite disheartened, as I could have checked my scores earlier to avoid this whole issue, but I am not about to dwell on my mistakes now. Should I keep my 30 N, since the best chances I have in admission lies in Alberta, and they take the best MCAT scores? Or should I retake it even sacrificing some 400-500 dollars to improve my chances in other universities? Assuming that I will do better this time... I do have the knowledge in the back of my mind, I'll have to refresh it again, but practice verbal to minimize the mistakes I made...

Sorry, i meant 12 9 9.

You got 10 9 9 in your first MCAT, how is that 30? That's 28. And I don't think a 9 in VR, plus a < 30 mark on the MCAT is competitive. And this presumes that they'll take your higher score, other schools take the latest score instead, in which case they're looking at a 5 in VR which will definitely make it hard if not impossible for you to get in.

Wow, you guessed it right, it was the 6/16 exam. Furthermore, My exam was delayed 2.5 hours because the test centers were having a hard time distributing the test. Which could have affected it..

Was this the 6/16 exam? lots of people seem to have horribly on that verbal. If so, i'd retake. You have nothing to lose at this point since most schools take most recent or best.

Gah, anyone think I can be ready in 12 days? Meaning reviewing everything and practicing verbal nonstop? lol...

I wrote the MCAT on 6/16 and I got a 9 in VR (which is what I was getting in practices, 9 or 10). I was in a similar situation as you because I had originally written the exam in April and I scored a 6 in VR! Which was much lower than what I got in any of my practices. I suggest you to rewrite because your most recent score will not make the cutoffs anywhere. I improved my score from a 6 to a 9 by making sure I didn't run out of time. I did no extra studying on verbal between the april exam and the 6/16 exam.

Archived