Premed 101 Forums

Overwhelmed: Where/How do I start?!

Lost&Found

Hi,

I'm honestly a little overwhelmed with MCAT prep. I have no idea where to start! There just seems to be so much to do/study. I've read a lot of the threads in this section and I'd really appreciate some additional advice.

I'd love it if you could share your routine when it comes to studying for the MCAT. How did you start?

Also, I'd like to know how many months one should study to be successful on the MCAT. I understand that the length of a study session does not equate to its effectiveness but I would appreciate a general guideline.

Thanks everyone.

~L&F

The Mcat is an overwhelming exam that in my mind requires some past course work, hard work, dedication and some luck. In my opinion, the best thing to do is first understand the theory of the sciences (physical and biological sciences). After immersing yourself in this for a while, do a few practice tests to get a feel for the question structures, structure of the exam and to start gaining stamina for the 5.5 hour marathon. I recommend next finding areas of deficiency in each section and work towards improving it alongside doing verbal reasoning to find what strategy works best and practice for the writing sample (reading the news, internet, etc). Finish up the prep with relaxing a bit, doing practice tests more frequently and make sure for sections like verbal you understand why you made specific mistakes. For the writing sample, try to get advice for those who have perhaps more experience in the area.

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.

Hi,

I'm honestly a little overwhelmed with MCAT prep. I have no idea where to start! There just seems to be so much to do/study. I've read a lot of the threads in this section and I'd really appreciate some additional advice.

I'd love it if you could share your routine when it comes to studying for the MCAT. How did you start?

Also, I'd like to know how many months one should study to be successful on the MCAT. I understand that the length of a study session does not equate to its effectiveness but I would appreciate a general guideline.

Thanks everyone.

~L&F

Archived