Premed 101 Forums

Second degree through Athabasca...good idea?

Hello

I've tried searching past postings, and sorry for a bit of a repeat but I'd still like a bit of advice if this is a good idea or not!

A bit of background:

From Thunder Bay, left at 18 for university

Graduated BScH from Guelph in 2007, OMSAS GPA 3.59 (3.77 & 3.82 in final 2 years)

Took a year off, went back for Respiratory Therapy (finished Dec 2010)

Have been working in Sydney, NS and district (pop. ~20000) as RT

MCAT: 10VR (lets not talk about the rest :) )

I'm aware that I've kinda pooched my chances at UofT, Queen's and UWO (plus I'm not interested in doing MCATs again...maybe) and had only been planning on applying to Mac and NOSM (wGPA of 3.73 not good enough for Ottawa, right?) I'll be applying this cycle to Mac and NOSM, but I'm thinking that a second degree will really help my chances at NOSM and maybe make me eligible for Ottawa.

Finally, my questions:

Anyone have experience completeing a second degree online via Athabasca? Can I arrange it so I'm taking a full semester equivalent of courses?

I know NOSM considers the second degree so long as you will be finishing it by June of the application year (looking for entry Fall'13, must be completed June'13, right?) So if I plan to do a second degree in two years, the first year will be the only marks considered on my application? (If I start the second degree Sept'11, by the application cycle '12-'13 deadline I'll have finished one year and those will be the only marks considered?? Or will my previous degree still be considered as well because I haven't officially completed the second?)

I hope I explained that well enough :)

I know ECs etc are also important, and while I think they are better than the average applicant I don't think they are good enough to make up for an average to low GPA, so I think that by improving my GPA (and continuing to acquire activities for my sketch) I think I'll really improve my chances.

Any thoughts? Sorry for the rambling post, but making the investment (time and money!) into the second degree is a big decision!

I honestly don't know if the second degree route is right for you. Most people do a second degree to become eligible for Queen's, Western, and Ottawa. The problem with your degree is that you have a 3.59 - even if you did a second degree with 2 years at a 3.9, that will only boost your cGPA to a 3.69. That's probably not going to make or break you.

I think you should bite the bullet and retake the MCAT. If you think about it, the alternative you're thinking of is taking 2 years of school. This is going to cost you a whole bunch of money in tuition as well as any potential lost salary that you have (from being a RT or from lost time practicing medicine). The true cost of pursuing a second degree when you don't need to could be well over $100k.

So I would get serious about the MCAT. Rather than doing two years and at the end becoming somewhat competitive at two schools, you will be truly competitive at two schools (guaranteed an interview at one), and still be marginally competitive at McMaster/NOSM. In fact, if you were to boost your 10VR to an 11 or even 12, you would be in better shape at McMaster than if you increased your GPA by that 0.1.

Anyway, sorry I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but it's by far the most logical path for you to pursue.

Also, consider Dalhousie and Memorial. I'm not too familiar with their admissions requirements but if you continue working in NS you will soon be considered IP.

Thanks so much for your imput!

I was under the impression that NOSM ONLY looks at your second degree, am I mistaken in this? (Or looks only at the best of the two...) That changes the game, would it not?

And even if I did really well on the MCATs, I don't see how I can be competitive at the other schools with my GPA being what it is. I had sorta counted those out completely, do you think just getting a good MCAT would change that? It's too late for this application cycle anyways, so all of this is looking a head, but I'd want to start the second degree in Sept if that's what ends up being best.

I don't have the pre-reqs for out of province right now, but I was going to get those during this second degree.

Thanks so much for your imput!

I was under the impression that NOSM ONLY looks at your second degree, am I mistaken in this? (Or looks only at the best of the two...) That changes the game, would it not?

And even if I did really well on the MCATs, I don't see how I can be competitive at the other schools with my GPA being what it is. I had sorta counted those out completely, do you think just getting a good MCAT would change that? It's too late for this application cycle anyways, so all of this is looking a head, but I'd want to start the second degree in Sept if that's what ends up being best.

I don't have the pre-reqs for out of province right now, but I was going to get those during this second degree.

NOSM will only look at your second degree. But even still, that's a lot of eggs in one basket.

If you meet MCAT cutoffs at Western, they only require that your best two years be above a certain cutoff (generally 3.7 or 3.75). You meet this. Queen's just requires your last two years be above around a 3.75, you meet this cutoff as well.

In other words, if you had a good MCAT score right now, you would get interviewed at Western and would stand a decent chance at getting an interview at Queen's too. Not to mention some chance at both NOSM and McMaster.

Thanks Simpy! That actually gives me a lot to think about. Even though the thought of doing the MCAT again kinda gives me palpitations, perhaps is a good route to take. Unfortunately that's not going to happen for this cycle...

Again, thanks for your imput. I'm going to try for Mac and NOSM this cycle, and hopefully all this wont matter!! LOL

Thanks Simpy! That actually gives me a lot to think about. Even though the thought of doing the MCAT again kinda gives me palpitations, perhaps is a good route to take. Unfortunately that's not going to happen for this cycle...

Again, thanks for your imput. I'm going to try for Mac and NOSM this cycle, and hopefully all this wont matter!! LOL

Definitely - a 3.59 and 10VR is going to give you an outside shot at both schools, more than worth applying. The MCAT is definitely a beast, but VR's the hard part. If you're capable of getting a 10 there, you should be easily capable of getting a Q in writing and cracking 10s in the sciences is just a matter of studying lots. Perhaps consider taking a prep course?

And do look up memorial or dal... Seriously, if you get to be considered IP for those schools I'd imagine you would be fairly competitive there too.

Just chiming in here to agree with Simpy. As it stands, you have a shot at NOSM - they tend to look for qualities other than a high GPA is seems. At least people with your stats have gotten interviews in the past, so it all comes down to your context (ie. how Northern/rural are you) and your other qualities.

Good luck! I know the MCAT is a pain, but it would certainly be worth trying again, especially if you can put in the time to study for it and/or take an MCAT course.

Archived