Premed 101 Forums

Continuing Degree

Hello

I've read about the restrictions on second undergrad degrees. I'm wondering if anyone can help me with information on a continuing degree. My history... Finished an undergrad in Kin, did a masters in OT after and have now worked for a year as an OT. I've applied a couple times to med, even before all my marks were in, but they weren't stellar.

I did the MCAT, 10, 10 and 8 in verbal, but it expires this year.

My plan, if it's possible, is to go back to undergrad, do an extra year, or possibly two, to boost my marks, dilute my 1st and 2nd year marks, re-do the MCAT and get in.

Any thoughts on this plan of action?? Can anyone comment on school-specific requirements for this route?

I appreciate any help. Thanks

McMaster- they will look at your entire background, so new marks can indeed "dilute" old ones. They also take into account VR on the MCAT. You need a minimum 3.0 OMSAS GPA to apply

Queens- they will look at your last 2 full-time years, where a full-time year is 3 8-month courses from Sept-April. They seem to have possibly started to do some sort of subjective analysis of academics. You also need to have a decent MCAT, with Q-R on the WS

UofT- you will probaby not be eligible but maybe someone else can comment here?

NOSM- are you from a rural area? This is a very competitive school to get into, even if you have a strong rural background. There is a serious subjective component to the non-academics, and then the interview, it seems like a lot of people get an interview for the number of spots available.

UWO- they have very strict rules about doing continuing courses. It would be best to check with them directly. You absolutely must follow their rules to the letter or you will be ineligible.

Ottawa- they look at your last 3 full-time years, so if you have a strong final year, you may be OK. It's 4 courses per term, sept-april.

Feel free to PM if you have other questions, your situation is somewhat similar to mine. The take-home message is this- do 5 courses per term, sept-april. Do not overload, and do not do courses outside the regular term. Take courses "corresponding to your grade level". Be as "normal" and traditional as possible. :)

Thanks so much.

My 1st year GPA is 2.something, 2nd and 3rd is about 3.55 and 4th is 3.9+. My writing sample was good, I think an R...

If I go back January full-time, does that make a difference? This is a decision I have been toying with for some time. Now that I've decided to take it seriously, it's too late to leave my job and register knowing that I'm doing everything right for this September.

I'm from a fairly rural area, Ottawa Valley. Although north of Barrie, it's too far east, so that doesn't help me for NOSM.

And for the most recent two full-time years, that would be my undergrad, right? Do they consider my masters marks? It's course-based OT too. I'd actually prefer they didn't.

Thanks again!

Well, I guess it's just a really hard decision for me. I didn't think I could register this late for September. I made some calls this morning and apparently it's very easy to come back for a 5th year and for Sept. I'm an OT in Toronto right now. My employer's under quite a bit of stress and it'd involve switching a big caseload in a short amount of time. Financially, I don't know how I'll do it. Despite all this, I know my chances are so much greater next year to get in if I have a full year under me.

I've already been looking up undergrad courses and running into the other dilemma that I don't really remember how I managed my courses to balance the load.

I think I'm looking for any push or motivation to go. The biggest risk is that I don't eventually get into med school.

Archived