Premed 101 Forums

In High School and I have to fill out undergrad application!

Guest booty911

Guest booty911

Hello, I am a grade 12 student and I really want a career in medicine. I love biology and chemistry but I do not know what to choose as my undergrad.

I am really interested in Nursing but I've heard it's not that good for a premed degree.

I'm in a hard position because I am also looking at Pharmacy, Biology and Biochemistry. I have to fill out my university application within a month or so and I have no idea what I really want. I would love for some advice.

Doing a science degree is what most premeds do and it seems to be the way to go but I am not sure and not really interested in a science degree even though I love science. What are some options if I am not accepted to med school with a science degree? Should I do nursing with some science courses on the side? Any suggestions/advice would be strongly appreciated.

I already posted this topic in the general forum but I just wanted to see what students of Memorial say about it.

Guest DancingDoc

I think you will get the same response on any of the school forums here.... Take whatever interests you (remember you have to focus on it for probably 3 to 4 years so choose because you like the information you are learning not because it seems most premed-like). Just make sure you have all the prerequisites and other requirements (like credit hours, etc) you need.

Guest Stephie05

Definately do something that you find interesting! Like DancingDoc said, you'll be focusing on that degree for several years before you even apply for medicine. Just make sure you have the prerequisites. I was thinking about doing Nursing, but my high-school courses wouldn't give me the right prerequisites, so doing it right out of high-school wasn't an option. Right now, I'm doing the prerequisites for Pharmacy, and I'm totally happy with it so far. Fair warning: it's mostly science (bio, chem, and physics) and math. So I'd recommend an interest in it first :)

Are you planning on going to MUN?

Stephanie

Guest booty911

Thanks for you reply. I am deff. planning on going to MUN for undergrad and med school. I think I've made up my mind on what I want to do for my undergrad now though...nursing with a few science courses here and there to help with the MCAT.

Guest clinicalchief

There are a few threads regarding your question in the general discussion forum - you might find some additional info there. However, if you have any specific Q's about science programs at MUN, don't hesitate to ask here!

cc

Archived