Premed 101 Forums

writing sample... so confused!

ridinfly

Hi- i am writing my mcat in three weeks, and i have started doing FLs recently. I find it so hard to do the writing sample, i was least worried about this part and put it on hold, assuming it would come to me, im really good at english and dont have a problem writing. BUT now that i am doing them, i find it almost impossible to remember good examples, i can write it fine with vague examples, that dont mention names or dates or highly SPECIFIC examples. but i know that isnt good enough, especially comparing it to the perfect writing samples given as examples.

How do you guys remember all the facts for teh examples, i have been reading the newspaper everyday, staying ontop of whats going on in the world, but i feel like it isnt helping at all. any advice? there is a lot of help out there on teh other sections, but i cant seem to find any really good writing sample pointers, and reading the samples given by companies just makes me feel so stupid. I feel like i have to know every historical event that ever took place in american history (which i know nothing about), i still have three weeks, what should i do?

any pointers?

ps. first post :)

I think it may help to know a few recent events inside and out. You don't have to keep up with every little thing. Also, by focusing, and doing research on a couple of topics, you may find that different aspects of the same event can work for multiple prompts.

Also, when you come across a prompt where you have no idea what to write, just do some general research to try and find situations that can work. That way, if a similar prompt shows up, you'll be well prepared.

Good Luck!

Also, don't go around thinking you need to know American history! If everybody writes about the Civil War, the thing you'd want to do most of all is to NOT write about it - you want to stand out. This is where being Canadian is a good thing - Harper sounds cool and international stacked next to about a thousand essays detailing Obama's recent moves.

I wrote about Louis Riel and Toronto Hydro on my MCAT and ended up doing really well.

Archived