Premed 101 Forums

OOP applicants after interview stage

Hey there,

I've been lurking this site for ages, and hoping someone out there can help me out! I'm a BC resident, and trying to figure out my chances at McMaster - I know they interview only 10% non-Ontarians, but does anyone know what happens once you make it to the interview stage? Is everyone on a level playing field at that point? I emailed McMaster admissions about this, but all I got in response was an autoreply with the same info that's on the website (frustrating!).

I'm also wondering about the average GPA of OOP applicants. McMaster doesn't list this specifically in their stats like UBC does, and I know in UBC's case they actually have a higher minimum GPA for OOP than for IP, but it doesn't really seem like this is the case for McMaster since everything really just comes down to casper. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Hey there,

I've been lurking this site for ages, and hoping someone out there can help me out! I'm a BC resident, and trying to figure out my chances at McMaster - I know they interview only 10% non-Ontarians, but does anyone know what happens once you make it to the interview stage? Is everyone on a level playing field at that point? I emailed McMaster admissions about this, but all I got in response was an autoreply with the same info that's on the website (frustrating!).

I'm also wondering about the average GPA of OOP applicants. McMaster doesn't list this specifically in their stats like UBC does, and I know in UBC's case they actually have a higher minimum GPA for OOP than for IP, but it doesn't really seem like this is the case for McMaster since everything really just comes down to casper. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Yes, after interviews everyone is on a level playing field. After CASPer, nobody really knows what the GPA of applicants is like (until they release stats), but I think I've heard it actually went down a bit. Even for OOP, if you are within the top 10% of rocking CASPer, then that can make up for a less than competitive GPA/VR score.

Just do your best on CASPer - it's worth applying for only $50 or whatever

Just wanted to give an update, in case anyone else out there has this question in the future: I received a reply back from McMaster admissions, and they confirmed that everybody is considered equally after the interview, and that while the mean GPA is slightly higher for OOP applicants due to the limited interview spots, the difference is very little. So, good luck to everyone!

I understand the expense issue if this is the only application you are considering in ON. In the ideal world, you want to apply to at least 3 med schools. Although it is pricey for just one med school in Ontario, it is cheap should you get in. Sometimes, expensive is cheap and being cheap can prove to be quite expensive.

I understand the expense issue if this is the only application you are considering in ON. In the ideal world, you want to apply to at least 3 med schools. Although it is pricey for just one med school in Ontario, it is cheap should you get in. Sometimes, expensive is cheap and being cheap can prove to be quite expensive.

Haha!! Well-said, f_d! I agree with all the comments thus far, you should apply.

Archived