Premed 101 Forums

Referees

Just wanted to get some thoughts on giving key points or direction to referees...in the past my referees were always professors/other professionals who had done many reference letters before, so I didn't really need to give them much direction. This year, I am asking someone who I volunteered for to be one of my references, and she asked me for some key points to highlight and I'm not too sure where to go with this... Do I want her to talk about her experiences volunteering with me only? Just wondering what other people have done, and hoping for some suggestions? Thanks in advance!

you might want to pick 3 or 4 key points about yourself that you want to highlight, say, when you look at all of your life experiences together what stands out? maybe you are an independent and self directed learner. your referee can begin a short paragraph stating this and how you showed that in this particular job. and maybe you also are very calm in stressful and changing situations...ask her to highlight an example., or two. that way the letter has some cohesiveness and structure.

my 2 cents..

I would ask for the referee to think of the context they know you in and how this would make you a good fit for the NOSM program and for medicine (as taiga gal said, were you an independent learner, good with patients, comforting, did you manage a crisis well, dependable etc).

I provided my referee's with detailed information about NOSM (http://www.nosm.ca/strategicplan.aspx) and the students/skills they were looking for (http://www.nosm.ca/education/ume/general.aspx?id=1268).

Hope this helps

coolio...

i also gave my refs some NOSM info and highlighted points...

and i wrote an autobiography, in prose style,,it is kinda long but they can use it as they wish. actually one ref just asked me to email it to him so he could refer to it whenever he wanted.

oh, i gave my transcripts too...

this all came recommended by future doc...

Just wanted to get some thoughts on giving key points or direction to referees...in the past my referees were always professors/other professionals who had done many reference letters before, so I didn't really need to give them much direction. This year, I am asking someone who I volunteered for to be one of my references, and she asked me for some key points to highlight and I'm not too sure where to go with this... Do I want her to talk about her experiences volunteering with me only? Just wondering what other people have done, and hoping for some suggestions? Thanks in advance!

In order to be credible, some personal examples about your excellent characteristics being sought after would be useful in advocating for you. :)

Archived