Premed 101 Forums

Need Advice RE: UBC

Hi,

I need advice about applying to med school this year. I already submitted my application to UBC, and I'm currently scheduled to write the MCAT on Tuesday, August 23 (which is the last writing accepted by UBC). Unfortunately, I'm definitely not ready for the MCAT. I'm hitting on average 32-33 on practises, but most are around 10-10-13 (PS-VR-BS). Through years of creeping on these forums, I understand that for UBC, the cut-offs are (pretty much) all that matters for the MCAT. However, I'm also in-province at other schools because I moved around a lot, and for those schools, the MCAT does matter more (especially VR it seems).

I'm starting my fourth (and final) year of my undergrad this fall and I've completed all pre-reqs. My grades are quite good (>A average), but my NAQ is probably middle of the pack, maybe slightly lower. Also, I've designed my degree to be very "bottom-heavy", i.e., I saved a full courseload of hard classes for my last year, always under the assumption that if maintain my high GPA early on, then I would get in anyways on my 4th year, so that my 4th year wouldn't matter (as much). I'm starting to have second thoughts about this strategy, however, primarily because my interview skills are terrible. Though I haven't really practised/studied much for interviews, I have tried a few practise MMI questions and I'm absolutely horrible. This might be because I suffer from social anxiety. I can't come up with more than 1 minute of things to talk about, I have trouble keeping eye contact, and I say 'umm' and 'ahh' like no other. Thus, not only do I risk failing at the interview stage, but by being so busy with a hard courseload while also practising/attending interviews, I'm putting my GPA at risk for the next year (I'm confident I will at least get to the interview stage at the in-province schools).

So I need help in two areas here.

First, do you guys think I should even apply this year, or, should I just spread out my last year into next summer and apply next year (thus ensuring I maintain my high GPA)?

Second, if I do apply this year, should I postpone the MCAT to September 10th and forget about UBC, applying only to the other schools? Or, should I just "wing it" and write the MCAT this Tuesday? Assume that postponing will guarantee me a better MCAT score -- I'm pretty sure it will.

I feel sick to my stomach about all this and I could really use some advice. The thing is that I REALLY don't want to have to wait a whole other year to apply. The idea of sitting at home for a whole year (with my parents *jitters*) just makes me sad. UBC is my first choice by a long shot, I would absolutely love to go there. But, if I had to choose between getting into any school this year, or UBC next year, I would choose any school this year.

Thanks for reading, and sorry for the long post. ANY advice is greatly appreciated.

Hello butterfly - it sounds like you have some serious butterflies in your stomach!

From what you have written, you are most concerned about writing the MCAT and not doing well, affecting your chances at other schools.

Objectively speaking, I think you have a good shot and you've identified that you have a good shot at most schools (being in province, strong grades, some extracurriculars thrown in.

It's always difficult to predict how you will do on the MCAT. It sounds like you have the pre-MCAT worries, which are totally understand.

I understand you might also be concerned by your score, averaging at the practices at 32-33 (balanced scores). Generally, most people have scored around the average of their practice scores give or take a few points.. If you score around this range this close to the exam date, I would say you are relatively safe for most schools, and UBC.

With that said, I would say write the MCAT this Tuesday. There's no perfect application - while you might not ace the MCAT (or score as high as you would if you studied more/had more time), remember that it is only one part of the process. It sounds like you are meeting the cutoffs and there is a good chance that you will meet the cutoffs on the test date too. Remember to ask yourself, is it good enough for the schools?

I think so.

There is the costly option of writing the MCAT twice (booking another test date) and not everyone has the means to do this financially. On that line, changing your MCAT write date also adds costs.

Ultimately, with some self-reflection, I hope you can come to a decision, stick with it, see what comes out and work at it again if need be. If you are lucky, it will work out.. if not, well you learn and move on - it is way too early in the application to tell if you will be

But you sound like you are in a good position.. I don't know your whole application but it sounds like you are on the right track. Be prepared to make mistakes and persevere.

All the best!

Hi,

I need advice about applying to med school this year. I already submitted my application to UBC, and I'm currently scheduled to write the MCAT on Tuesday, August 23 (which is the last writing accepted by UBC). Unfortunately, I'm definitely not ready for the MCAT. I'm hitting on average 32-33 on practises, but most are around 10-10-13 (PS-VR-BS). Through years of creeping on these forums, I understand that for UBC, the cut-offs are (pretty much) all that matters for the MCAT. However, I'm also in-province at other schools because I moved around a lot, and for those schools, the MCAT does matter more (especially VR it seems).

I'm starting my fourth (and final) year of my undergrad this fall and I've completed all pre-reqs. My grades are quite good (>A average), but my NAQ is probably middle of the pack, maybe slightly lower. Also, I've designed my degree to be very "bottom-heavy", i.e., I saved a full courseload of hard classes for my last year, always under the assumption that if maintain my high GPA early on, then I would get in anyways on my 4th year, so that my 4th year wouldn't matter (as much). I'm starting to have second thoughts about this strategy, however, primarily because my interview skills are terrible. Though I haven't really practised/studied much for interviews, I have tried a few practise MMI questions and I'm absolutely horrible. This might be because I suffer from social anxiety. I can't come up with more than 1 minute of things to talk about, I have trouble keeping eye contact, and I say 'umm' and 'ahh' like no other. Thus, not only do I risk failing at the interview stage, but by being so busy with a hard courseload while also practising/attending interviews, I'm putting my GPA at risk for the next year (I'm confident I will at least get to the interview stage at the in-province schools).

So I need help in two areas here.

First, do you guys think I should even apply this year, or, should I just spread out my last year into next summer and apply next year (thus ensuring I maintain my high GPA)?

Second, if I do apply this year, should I postpone the MCAT to September 10th and forget about UBC, applying only to the other schools? Or, should I just "wing it" and write the MCAT this Tuesday? Assume that postponing will guarantee me a better MCAT score -- I'm pretty sure it will.

I feel sick to my stomach about all this and I could really use some advice. The thing is that I REALLY don't want to have to wait a whole other year to apply. The idea of sitting at home for a whole year (with my parents *jitters*) just makes me sad. UBC is my first choice by a long shot, I would absolutely love to go there. But, if I had to choose between getting into any school this year, or UBC next year, I would choose any school this year.

Thanks for reading, and sorry for the long post. ANY advice is greatly appreciated.

Hey, it sounds like you have answered the question for yourself - you'd rather get into any school rather than wait another year, so why not? If you are that worried about the interview, perhaps it would be good to apply this year just to get an interview or interviews so you can get practice on the whole situation. If you get in, it's what you wanted, if not, you have gotten a year of practice in the application/interview procedures. As far as I'm concerned, it's worth it. As for your MCAT, I think your averages are pretty solid, if you pulled off that average it would be good enough for probably all schools that you are IP. UBC especially, it shouldn't be too hard for you to hit the cutoffs, so I think since you have registered and studied for it, why not write it? You won't get your money back now, so you have absolutely nothing to lose. If worst comes to worst, you could always void the MCAT and they will never know you even wrote it. I think it's quite normal to feel nervous about everything, and know that you are not alone. I'm sure if your GPA is >A, you will have no trouble maintaining it, even with a bigger course load. Everything will work out, and if you really want something, you will get it. Good luck in everything!

Hey, it sounds like you have answered the question for yourself - you'd rather get into any school rather than wait another year, so why not? If you are that worried about the interview, perhaps it would be good to apply this year just to get an interview or interviews so you can get practice on the whole situation. If you get in, it's what you wanted, if not, you have gotten a year of practice in the application/interview procedures. As far as I'm concerned, it's worth it. As for your MCAT, I think your averages are pretty solid, if you pulled off that average it would be good enough for probably all schools that you are IP. UBC especially, it shouldn't be too hard for you to hit the cutoffs, so I think since you have registered and studied for it, why not write it? You won't get your money back now, so you have absolutely nothing to lose. If worst comes to worst, you could always void the MCAT and they will never know you even wrote it. I think it's quite normal to feel nervous about everything, and know that you are not alone. I'm sure if your GPA is >A, you will have no trouble maintaining it, even with a bigger course load. Everything will work out, and if you really want something, you will get it. Good luck in everything!

Hey butterfly,

K-Doc is right. Just apply anyway and learn from the experience. You might get lucky and get accepted this year, who knows? You also seem pretty prepared for MCAT already, so you should just write it. In terms of MMI, you just need to practice - with a group of friends, with family, or just randomly talk to strangers in a cafe, on a bus, whatever to build confidence. You should also develop a structure for your answers - read the threads under interview in this forum to get some ideas.

Try and work on your social anxiety. Join more clubs, have more conversations with the people sitting near you in class. Before you know it it'll all be second nature.

I hope you do get that remedied asap...especially if you want to be a doctor.

1. MCAT

You can rewrite the MCAT without penalty for most Canadian schools. You can pretty much think of this as a "practice", and honestly, if you pull off a 33 on the real thing there are few schools it will hinder you at. Maybe Manitoba. :)

If you put off the MCAT until sept 10th it WILL impact your term this year, so consider that too.

2. GPA

You have the skills and the drive to get good marks. YOu could be very strategic about it and take some easier electives, and save a few courses for a 5th "special" year if you're really worried about it. You must be extremely careful about this.

3. If money and time is not an issue, apply to the other schools as well. You never know who will take you.

4. Extracurriculars. It sounds like you need some social time. I was like that at your age too. One thing that might help a lot is to o to toastmasters- they are a public speaking organiztion.

5. "sitting at home with parents"- who said you have to do that? Get a job (it would be a great extracurricular) or if you have the financial resources, travel/volunteer. Customer service jobs are not always the most fun or well-paying, but they put you in contact with lots of people and will strengthen your speaking and thinking-on-the-spot skills.

6. I agree with the "social anxiety" point that was raised by another poster. If you want to deal with patients you need to be able to talk to them, and listen to them.Put yourself into situations where you find yourself outside your comfort zone, and you'll see that you will learn to be social very quickly. I had to leave the country and travel to be able to really learn how to do this, because I was a pretty shy girl. Going into places where I didn't know the language and had to communicate with smiles and hand signals was very useful. :)

Finally- it sounds like you're stressed out about the MCAT and wrote a great big long post on a message board. Go study! :P

Write the MCAT for sure. By the looks of your GPA, you don't seem like the type of person who lets herself/himself be underprepared, but rather you may be anxious that you are underprepared but instead are probably fine. The MCAT is one of those tests where you don't actually need to study as hard as you think you do..as in you definitely do not have to study as hard as you would for a regular physiology or biochemistry exam..a lot of the questions are based on basic knowledge combined with some reasoning.

Also, you really can't predict how well you are going to do in each cycle and don't assume your interview skills are that much worse than others and that this will keep you out. Give it your best shot and see what happens. What I have learned is no matter how much you try you will never understand the system and it is a waste of time to try to do so. I had a pretty good interview last year and I was straight up rejected, didn't even make it to the wait list This year I applied with the same GPA, pretty much same ECs and the same MCAT and my interview was horrid and I got in to my first choice campus.

A year off can be a blessing in disguise. I worked two jobs and I got the chance to develop some solid work experience and network with people. I also got a well-needed break, did a bit of travel, got to read more books than I ever did in my undergrad and because I lived with my parents I saved quite a bit of money.

Thanks so much guys, I love these forums. I've decided to write it. So, if I actually do get in, I'll have you guys to thank :)

I'll definitely be joining Toastmasters and working hard on my communication skills as soon as my MCAT is done. Hopefully we can do some practice interviews when the time comes, as well.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.

Archived