Premed 101 Forums

Question please!!

panick

Hello, I would very much appreciate if someone can answer my question..

so I understand that most US schools want 1 full year organic chem, 1 full year general chem, and 1 full year english.

I only have half year organic chem, half year general chem, and no english.

so...if I take these courses now in 2011-2012 session, can I still apply??

Thanks!!

Hello, I would very much appreciate if someone can answer my question..

so I understand that most US schools want 1 full year organic chem, 1 full year general chem, and 1 full year english.

I only have half year organic chem, half year general chem, and no english.

so...if I take these courses now in 2011-2012 session, can I still apply??

Thanks!!

Yes, I believe for most schools as long as you're complete prereqs prior to matriculation, you're fine :) So, no worries. As always, there are a few exceptions to this rule (very few exceptions I believe) so it'd be best to check school websites before applying...just in case.

erm, I would appreciate if someone can answer one more question...

I go to UofT, and I need to fulfill 1 full year general chemistry with lab, but I only have half year, so I need another half course, as I mentioned above.

But UofT only offers half-year course with no lab. So..what should I do? should I consider taking an alternative course from UTM?

and would analytic chemistry count as general chem? (I suppose it is)

You have to ask each school you want to apply to to see if they will take it.

Some schools are more stringent than others. When I applied, Northwestern (where I went to med school) only had "recommended courses", so technically they had no prerequisites (they have since changed that policy to "required courses").

In general, premeds should take one year of calculus, one year of physics with lab, one year of general biology with lab, one year of organic chem with lab, one year of general chem with lab and one year of English to maximize the number of schools you can apply to. Many schools also require a "humanities" course, and in general US schools value a broad liberal arts education more than a hardcore emphasis on the sciences. Unfortunately, most Canadian schools have very stringent requirements for their degrees and do not encourage this but you should keep this in mind when choosing your courses. For example, I would try to pick at least six credits of your electives in the arts/humanities.

Archived