Premed 101 Forums

Going back to do science pre-reqs only?

Hello,

I graduated with a BA (Hons) with a high GPA in December 2009. I've always had an interest in health, but more from a social perspective. Only about 1.5 years ago did I decide to pursue medicine. I will be applying to three medical schools this Fall - all of which do not require science pre-reqs.

I am wondering if I should take some science courses next Spring. 1) It would help prepare me for studying medicine, and 2) if I don't get in this round, then I might be able to apply to more schools next time around (plus do significantly better on the science sections of the MCAT).

1) Do science courses have to be part of a degree in order to qualify as pre-reqs?

2) If I go back to take say 4-8 science courses as a non-degree student, would most medical schools include the GPA of those courses into their GPA calculations? (I am worried that it might lower my GPA)

3) Has anyone done the same? If yes, how many science courses would you recommend taking in one semester?

Thanks.

Hello,

I graduated with a BA (Hons) with a high GPA in December 2009. I've always had an interest in health, but more from a social perspective. Only about 1.5 years ago did I decide to pursue medicine. I will be applying to three medical schools this Fall - all of which do not require science pre-reqs.

Congratulations on your interest in medicine! You mentioned you decided 1.5 years ago that you wanted to pursue medicine, have you done anything in those 1.5 years? What I mean to ask is if you've enrolled in a post bacc certification, or volunteer, or things of that nature.

I am wondering if I should take some science courses next Spring. 1) It would help prepare me for studying medicine, and 2) if I don't get in this round, then I might be able to apply to more schools next time around (plus do significantly better on the science sections of the MCAT).

How many science courses are you taking, and more specifically, which ones are you planning on taking aside from the basic courses. Keep in mind that the MCAT uses only slightly more complicated science than high school science (with the exception of a few topics of course)

1) Do science courses have to be part of a degree in order to qualify as pre-reqs?

I don't believe science courses need to be part of a degree in order to qualify as a prereq. As far as I can tell from reading the admissions criteria on OMSAS and OOP schools that require prereqs, it is important that the courses are done, but it does not stipulate as to whether it needs to be done as part of a degree

2) If I go back to take say 4-8 science courses as a non-degree student, would most medical schools include the GPA of those courses into their GPA calculations? (I am worried that it might lower my GPA)

Why 4-8 science courses? try and keep your life as stress free as possible. Most OMSAS schools require only 1 credit from each science (with the most being from ottawa I believe. Here's the requirements chart for quick reference: http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/rc_omsas_e.pdf). If you can get away with doing the intro science courses at 1.0 credit each, you would only need to take 3-4 science courses in total, maybe 5 for ottawa. Spend the free time you have on extra curriculars and volunteering. Also keep in mind that you almost always have to take 5.0 credits (or equivalent) to have the gpa of all your courses be counted. Med school does not consider part time marks into the gpa calculations.

3) Has anyone done the same? If yes, how many science courses would you recommend taking in one semester?

Thanks.

I'm fairly certain there are people who have gone through the same path as you. Usually the trend in the non trad forums is to see science students going back to do more social science/humanity oriented courses (if not professional certifications), but your situation is not all that uncommon. Ask around! I'm sure the mods may have come across this particular predicament a few times. Hope this info helps

Thank you for your detailed reply, SheriffLobo.

To answer your questions:

In the past 1.5 years, I have been working as a Program/Research Assistant at an Aboriginal Health Centre where I have been involved in HIV/AIDS and diabetes research and programs. At some point, I've also worked as an RA at the Women's Hospital. I've also been working on my own research project (including presenting it at a conference and writing it up as a journal article), hospital and support group volunteering, studying for the MCAT etc. I didn't have the financial means to go back to school - because I only recently become a Permanent Resident of Canada, which meant I would have to pay intl. tuition fees for any science courses taken the past 1.5 years.

I am not exactly sure yet how many science courses I should take or which ones. I need to do my research. I mentioned 4-8, because I live in Vancouver, and UBC seems to have the most pre-reqs of all med schools in Canada (bad luck for me). But I think it would be wise to go back to take some science courses to broaden my options should I need to apply a second time to get into medicine.

So if only full-time semesters are included in the GPA (generally speaking), then I guess I could do part-time science courses over the next year and not worry about it dropping my current GPA...

Thanks.

Thank you for your detailed reply, SheriffLobo.

To answer your questions:

In the past 1.5 years, I have been working as a Program/Research Assistant at an Aboriginal Health Centre where I have been involved in HIV/AIDS and diabetes research and programs. At some point, I've also worked as an RA at the Women's Hospital. I've also been working on my own research project (including presenting it at a conference and writing it up as a journal article), hospital and support group volunteering, studying for the MCAT etc. I didn't have the financial means to go back to school - because I only recently become a Permanent Resident of Canada, which meant I would have to pay intl. tuition fees for any science courses taken the past 1.5 years.

I am not exactly sure yet how many science courses I should take or which ones. I need to do my research. I mentioned 4-8, because I live in Vancouver, and UBC seems to have the most pre-reqs of all med schools in Canada (bad luck for me). But I think it would be wise to go back to take some science courses to broaden my options should I need to apply a second time to get into medicine.

So if only full-time semesters are included in the GPA (generally speaking), then I guess I could do part-time science courses over the next year and not worry about it dropping my current GPA...

Thanks.

no worries. And remember, the best option is to always email the schools for their requirements. They are almost always more thhan happy to answer your questions, though sometimes it may take some time. Best of luck!

Hi PSJ,

I went back to school to do pre-requisites as a non-degree student after finishing my degree. I was considered a full time student, though didn't take a full course load per se (52 credits in two years). I have interviewed at UBC for the past 3 years (though have never been offered admission nor even made the waitlist). Take from that what you will, I like to think med schools don't mind if one does pre-reqs as a non-degree student.

I too had to start from scratch to fill all the UBC science/english pre-reqs as I had not completed any of them for my degree. It took 2 years, though I took a couple of extra courses for interest sake and to help with mcat.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived