Premed 101 Forums

Research Questions

Z3D

Here's my deal: Everybody that I know has gotten some research position through their friends/connections. I'm the type of guy that doesn't have squat for connections and has to build them from scratch, and so I feel that I need to do the same for research. I have read the "Research" FAQ, but I had my own questions:

#1) Where did you find the list of professors/supervisors who work for the NSERC/NRC?

#2) On the NSERC website, it says that I have to forward one of my application forms to my university research supervisor. I assume that this means I have to find a professor first before I fill this application, right?

#3) Is it possible to find researchers/doctors at hospitals (via Internet) and then just email them to see their availabilities, right?

#4) Not a question really....but if you have ANY useful advice, or website links that would make this process easier for me, I would really appreciate it! =D

Thanks again for doing this, this is all new to me and I'm really lost! =(

EDIT: I reside in Ottawa, ON if this helps

1) You need to ask individually. It's based on application from my understanding from professors/researchers.

2) Yes, see above.

3) Yes, that is one way to approach it. Another way is to ask professor who teach your classes.

4) Start early, before January. Usually pre-meds do research during the summer, though some like to continue during the year with their work if it's on campus. For people who live in TO and study in Ottawa, for instance, they usually do a stint at U of T or Sickkids for four months.

Best of luck - Cerena and those who browse research forum are a great resource to ask.

Here's my deal: Everybody that I know has gotten some research position through their friends/connections. I'm the type of guy that doesn't have squat for connections and has to build them from scratch, and so I feel that I need to do the same for research. I have read the "Research" FAQ, but I had my own questions:

#1) Where did you find the list of professors/supervisors who work for the NSERC/NRC?

If you go to a research intensive university, the faculty web page provides tons of information regarding professors, as well as their basic profile, research interests, and C.V.. They usually advertise that they hold an NSERC research chair as it is quite prestigious.

Take into account you DO NOT need an NSERC to do research for the summer, if you are a first year don't expect it, you will most like be volunteering or have limited pay due to your lack of experience. Also, look for other internal reseach awards within your university, they are usually under advertised and easier to get.

#2) On the NSERC website, it says that I have to forward one of my application forms to my university research supervisor. I assume that this means I have to find a professor first before I fill this application, right?

Yes. But before you do that you should really search professors who do work within your areas of interest. Email a bunch of profs, not just one. I know profs get these email all the time, usually they just delete them. (inside source.. lol)

#3) Is it possible to find researchers/doctors at hospitals (via Internet) and then just email them to see their availabilities, right?

Yes, however, you chances will be smaller as they get emailed all the time. You will need to sell yourself, and prove to them you are an acceptable candidate or else they will deem you as too much of a risk

#4) Not a question really....but if you have ANY useful advice, or website links that would make this process easier for me, I would really appreciate it! =D

Profs, and researchers are busy people, make it easy for them. Don't write a long convoluted essay in your email, simply state your intentions tell them a little about yourself and maybe attach your C.V. wih you grades to make it easy for them.

Thanks again for doing this, this is all new to me and I'm really lost! =(

EDIT: I reside in Ottawa, ON if this helps

+10char........

<abstract>, thanks a lot for the feedback!

For #1-2, I can definitely spend the next few days doing some research on that, should be able to come up with a few names. =P

As for #3-4, I'm at a bit of a pause as to how I should format my email(s). Would it be all right if I PM-ed you what I think should be sent and then you could give me some criticism on that?

<abstract>, thanks a lot for the feedback!

For #1-2, I can definitely spend the next few days doing some research on that, should be able to come up with a few names. =P

As for #3-4, I'm at a bit of a pause as to how I should format my email(s). Would it be all right if I PM-ed you what I think should be sent and then you could give me some criticism on that?

Yeah sure no probs, always happy to help!

cheers,

ABS:)

1) You need to ask individually. It's based on application from my understanding from professors/researchers.

2) Yes, see above.

3) Yes, that is one way to approach it. Another way is to ask professor who teach your classes.

4) Start early, before January. Usually pre-meds do research during the summer, though some like to continue during the year with their work if it's on campus. For people who live in TO and study in Ottawa, for instance, they usually do a stint at U of T or Sickkids for four months.

Best of luck - Cerena and those who browse research forum are a great resource to ask.

Thanks, mac! But for now, I'd like everyone to take a good look at my signature and understand that I am taking the break from the forum for a while. I need some time to regroup, tackle applications, excel at my own research (kind of a pun b/c I'm doing microsoft excel data anaylses - har har), enjoy what's left of summer, and get back on track.

Thnx everyone. And to all you future researchers, good luck! I wrote the research FAQ specifically for you :)

Don't forget about your own profs! I decided to apply for an NSERC kind of on a whim because I absolutely loved this one class I was taking, and my prof agreed to put together a proposal with me. And I ended up getting it! Profs are generally more agreeable towards students they've taught and at least somewhat know.

I have been in the same position and I tried to attend any open houses that departments hold usually for prospective graduate students (keep a look out for them or approach a department and ask when they have them). There, I got a chance to see a lot of researchers' works and finally met one professor whose work I liked and got along well with her - I have been working with her since summer after first year, summer internship and now a fourth year thesis.

I found these open houses really useful.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived