Premed 101 Forums

My chances?

Hi all, just thought that I would get some feedback:

I'm a graduate student (MSc), aiming to defend by June 2012

My GPA for my grad courses is 3.8

My undergrad WGPA is 3.83

My MCAT is VR8 PS12 BS11 WSR

MY ECs are pretty standard (4 years as a counselor at a summer camp, heart and stroke volunteer for 1/2 a year, hospital volunteer for 2 years, high school science and math tutor for 2 years)

Also got $10 000 studentship, $3000 studentship, $500 travel award, poster competition award

Reference letters: what can be said about them

I have a bunch of abstracts to conferences, and even more posters

I am expecting a paper to come out soon which I have authorship on, plus another one expected by the time I defend which I'm first author

Hi all, just thought that I would get some feedback:

I'm a graduate student (MSc), aiming to defend by June 2012

My GPA for my grad courses is 3.8

My undergrad WGPA is 3.83

My MCAT is VR8 PS12 BS11 WSR

MY ECs are pretty standard (4 years as a counselor at a summer camp, heart and stroke volunteer for 1/2 a year, hospital volunteer for 2 years, high school science and math tutor for 2 years)

Also got $10 000 studentship, $3000 studentship, $500 travel award, poster competition award

Reference letters: what can be said about them

I have a bunch of abstracts to conferences, and even more posters

I am expecting a paper to come out soon which I have authorship on, plus another one expected by the time I defend which I'm first author

You have great chances from what I can see if you can write a strong essay and get your sketch to look good. Also, as a Grad Applicant, you will have the supplementary form and CV to submit. Get cracking on those really well and you may be able to secure an interview.

Being competitive and getting the interview are two different things. GL.

You have great chances from what I can see if you can write a strong essay and get your sketch to look good. Also, as a Grad Applicant, you will have the supplementary form and CV to submit. Get cracking on those really well and you may be able to secure an interview.

Being competitive and getting the interview are two different things. GL.

Thanks for the insight!

You need a killer essay and market yourself well in the ABS. With the limited number of characters available, miracles are possible. :P

This is pretty standard for every applicant.

You look like a decent candidate, and should have a pretty good shot. But med apps are crazy so you never know what can happen.

Lol am I that bad?

No...you are not "THAT" bad :). Your stats are good...but they are not stellar...future_doc is saying that even with stats that aren't super amazing...you should remain optimistic, as the ABS and essay play a critical role at U of T. People that have 4.0 cGPA, 12+ MCAT score in each section and amazing extracurriculars may seem STELLAR...but miracles happen to them too...they DON'T get interviews :eek: !! Market yourself well in the ABS and essay; ask future_doc for assistance with your essay...and see how everything plays out :). Moreover, you can go through other threads and see what sort of stats other accepted grad students had...your stats are fine :P

Archived